Magnesium is an essential trace mineral which is required by the body to support various body functions which include strengthening muscles and bones, enhancing the immune system and ensuring regularity of muscular contractions including heart beats. Deficiency of magnesium is associated with serious conditions which are manifested in the form of magnesium deficiency.
According to the National Institute of Health Office of Dietary Supplements, magnesium chloride is just one of the many forms in which magnesium supplements are available. The other forms include magnesium carbonate, magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate, magnesium lactate, etc.However magnesium chloride is preferred due to the bio-availability and ease with which it degenerates in the intestine.
Health Benefits Of Magnesium Chloride
Magnesium chloride is the best supplement for the trace mineral magnesium which is essential for a wide range of functions in the body. The important health benefits of magnesium chloride are,
- It is essential to keep the bones and the teeth healthy as it plays a crucial role in calcium absorption and assimilation.
- Magnesium also plays a crucial role in activating certain enzymes that are required for the production of energy.
- Magnesium also regulates the levels of other essential vitamins and minerals in the body which include copper, potassium, zinc and vitamin D.
- Magnesium controls muscle contractions and the deficiency of magnesium is also associated with irregular heartbeats and muscle spasms
Uses Of Magnesium Supplements
Magnesium chloride is beneficial in the treatment of magnesium related deficiencies or problems associated with low levels of magnesium in the body. The health uses associated with the regular intake of magnesium chloride include,
- Magnesium supplementation can help treat a wide range of disturbances including anxiety, restless leg syndrome and insomnia.
- Magnesium supplementation is also beneficial in treating muscular spasms and cardiac arrhythmia’s. Its action of the arterial muscles helps in effective treatment of hypo-tension or low blood pressure.
- Magnesium supplementation is beneficial in the management of gastrointestinal ailments like irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis and pancreatitis.
- In addition magnesium is effective in the management of diabetes, osteoporosis, migraines, premenstrual syndrome and fibromyalgia.
Side Effects Of Magnesium Chloride
Though magnesium chloride supplementation is fairly beneficial, it should not be taken without the consultation with the healthcare provider. It should be avoided in individuals with heart disease, nerve disorders, kidney disorders or myasthenia gravis, as per the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Here are some of the risk factors associated with magnesium chloride intake, without medical supervision,
- Magnesium chloride may interfere with the absorption of certain other supplements and medications and hence should be taken at a difference of at least couple of hours. Magnesium inhibits the absorption of iron, folic acid, neuromuscular blockers and tetracycline
- Magnesium chloride is often associated with gastrointestinal disturbances. Diarrhea is the most common side effect of magnesium chloride. In addition the supplement may also result in abdominal cramps, nausea and vomiting.