Following is the list of iron rich natural and food sources.
- Lettuce– It contains fairly good amount of iron. It is an effective home remedy for anemia (condition where there is low hemoglobin or iron in the blood). This is used as a tonic in case of anemia and also in general case of weakness. It is a natural form of iron, is easy to digest and it is easily absorbed in the body.
- Spinach– Everyone knows that spinach is the rich source of high grade iron. This leafy vegetable when consumed after its absorption helps in formation of hemoglobin and red blood cells (RBC). This is important in formation of blood and thus in helpful in cases of anemia. Anemia and constipation is very common during pregnancy and spinach is helpful in both these conditions.
- Sesame seeds especially black sesame seeds are a rich source of iron. This can be taken by soaking the seeds in the warm water for 2 to 3 hours. These seeds are then grounded and water is strained from it. This extract can be taken with milk. For taste one can add sugar or jaggery. This is also valuable in anemia as it is easily available.
- Fenugreek leaves are also rich source of iron. The fenugreek leaves are cooked and this is to be taken directly. This is helpful in those with excessive menstruation. Seeds of fenugreek are also beneficial in iron formation in blood.
- Many other food items contain enough amount of iron. These food items include beet, soybeans, almonds, groundnuts, raisins, honey, bananas, black grapes, plums, carrots, radish, celery, tomatoes and onions.
Excess of iron in the body is also harmful and hence a well-balanced diet is important. Well-balanced diet should contain seeds, nuts, grains, fruits and vegetables.
Sunlight is very important in formation of red blood cells and hence it is very important for those who want to increase iron in the body.