You may have heard till now about female menopause, and its symptoms such as hot flashes and irritation apart from stoppage of menstruation. Identically males are also found to be equally affected with growing age to experience hot flashes. The condition which common people refer as male menopause can be scientifically termed as male andropause or hypogonadism.
As men ages he will experience changes in his body, and hot flashes is one such experience. Hot flashes last from few minutes to an hour. When the testosterone and the androgen level become low with growing age, he may feel sudden heat in his body.However unlike females, men do not completely become infertile, and average man is capable to reproduce beyond the age of 65 years. The symptoms of male menopause begin as early as 50 years and can prolong till the age of 60.
Causes Of Hot Flashes In Males
Male hot flashes causes include:
Andropause: this is the main reason for male hot flashes. As the testosterone level in the ageing male becomes low, the hypothalamus which controls the thermal center in the brain gets confused and sends signals to the blood vessels to dilate to expel heat from the body.This causes hot flashes. It is an attempt of the body to keep itself cooler.
- Certain medicines are also responsible to cause hot flashes in male, these are nifedipine, cephalexcin, nitroglycerine etc.
- Testicular cancer and prostate cancer can cause hot flashes. The diseases can change the hormonal level in males resulting into hot flashes.
- Food additive such as MSG can cause hot flashes.
Symptoms Of Male Hot Flashes
Some of the main symptoms of hot flashes in men are:
- Flushed face with redness.
- Heaviness in head.
- Feeling cold and chilly as the hot flashes reduce.
- Sweating on the face and chest and the back.
- Dizziness and tiredness
- Insomnia due to night sweats.
- Mood swings.
- Irritability and depression.
- Hands and feet become clammy.
- Thin hair.
- Hair fall.
- Weight gain.
- Muscles and bone pain.
- Nails turn brittle.
- Change in the body odor.
Herbal Remedies For Hot Flashes In Men
There are many modern day drugs to treat hot flashes in males, but most of them have some side effects, therefore natural and herbal remedies are best used to treat the symptoms.
- To reduce mood swings, depression and night sweats, wild yam is a useful herb used by many for these symptoms of male menopause.
- Sabal serrulata or saw palmetto helps to relieve prostatic troubles and thus effectively controls hot flashes in men.
- Drinking black cohosh tea can control and bring hormonal secretions in level to a certain extent, and relieves night sweats and hot flashes in males. Drink this tea at least once in a day.
- Ginseng is effective to relieve male hot flashes due to low level of testosterone.
Besides knowing all the symptoms and treatment, it is necessary for a person to get himself checked with his doctor if he experiences hot flashes.