I am suffering from epididymo orchitis from four days. I am suffering from pangs of severe pains and continuous fever. Currently going through antibiotic treatment. I am anxious to know about recovery period from this disease.
What is Epididymo-orchitis?
Epididymo-orchitis is an inflammation of epididymis and the testis. Epididymis is coiled structure attached to the testis, in the scrotum. When the infection spreads to the testis from epididymis it is called epididymo-orchitis.
Epididdymo- orchitis can be acute and chronic. The complete resolution of the swelling in the epididymis and testis may take 6-8 weeks, however due to modern medicines available, recovery period in epididymo- orchitis can be expected earlier than usual.
You are suffering from acute form of epididdymo- orchitis.
Causes of acute epididdymo- orchitis
- Infection in urethra, prostate and seminal vesicles are responsible to cause epididymo- orchitis.
- It can be spread through blood borne infection as in mumps.
- Causative organism may be virus as in mumps, bacteria like E-coli, staphylococci, streptococci, gonococci may be responsible for epididymo-orchitis.
- Catheters and urethral instrumentations can cause acute form of epididdymo-orchitis. It usually occurs when there is associated infection in prostate.
- Stricture in urethra, and retrograde passage of infected urine.
- Acute epididdymo-orchitis due to tuberculous infection.
- Sexually transmitted disease such as Gonorrhea, lympho- granuloma venereum etc.
Symptoms of Epididymo-orchitis
- Severe pain in the testis.
- Swelling in testis.
- Scrotum becomes red, edematous and shiny.
Treatment and Remedies for Epididymo-orchitis
- Take complete bed rest till acute symptoms have completely resolved.
- Support the scrotum on a sling formed by an adhesive plaster attached across the thighs.
- Cold compresses: with mag sulf powder mixed in cool water should be applied repeatedly.
- Take prescribed medicines by your doctor.
- Herbal remedy for epididymo- orchitis like coccinia leaf extracts can be used as a tea preparation; it is an anti-bacterial herbal remedy.
- Echinacea tincture can also help to cure epididymo-orchitis due to its anti-bacterial property.