Just like two people do not have the same fingerprints, similarly, each individual has a unique skin type. Combination of each skin type and atmospheric conditions in the geographical area may require special blend of oils for massaging.
Homemade massage oils have proven to be far more effective in our daily life for stress reduction, body relaxation and to eliminate certain body pain. Homemade massage oils have an edge over off-the-shelf products. You can choose which combinations to use in your massage oil, depending on your requirements to create your own personal blend.
Homemade massage oils are generally prepared using age-old recipes. Thus, you precisely know the ingredients of your oil and are also certain about the quality and freshness.
Carrier oils and essential oils are primary components of homemade massage oil. These need to be chosen carefully and mixed in the right proportions to achieve the desired results.
Carrier Oils For Homemade Massage Oils
Carrier oils are used to dilute highly concentrated essential oils. Carrier oils prevent early evaporation of massage oils as well as ensure massage oils are absorbed well into the skin. Almond oil and grape seed oils are widely used massage therapy oils.
- Almond oil is extremely popular massage therapy oil. It has very little smell, is smooth and easy to apply. It gets absorbed in skin easily. It is rich in Vitamin D, good for all skin types and particularly useful for hair and dry skin.
- Grape seed oil is a great alternative for almond oil. It has little or no smell and is smooth, easy to apply, non-greasy and good for oily skin.
- Some other popular and effective carrier oils are sunflower oil, olive oil, wheat germ oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, rosehip oil and evening primrose oil.
Homemade Massage Oil With Essential Oils
Essential oils are extracted from flowers, leaves, stems, roots, seeds, bark and resins. These oils have highly concentrated essences which have medicinal properties and are useful to treat various conditions.
Essential oils are volatile and highly concentrated. They should not be applied directly on the skin. Add about 10 to 15 drops of essential oil to the carrier oil, mix well and then apply.
A massage using essential oils not only enhances and enriches the massage experience, but also maximizes its healing benefits. There are a large number of essential oils, each having unique healing abilities to treat specific conditions.
- Lavender oil is an extensively used essential oil. It has a very soothing, calming effect. It relieves tension, headaches, stress, anxiety and insomnia. It helps improve your mood, memory, circulation and digestion.
- Other essential oils are sandalwood oil, tea tree oil, ylang-ylang, eucalyptus, bergamot, clary sage, geranium, lemon, rosemary, chamomile, jasmine, rose etc.
You may make use of one carrier oil or a combination of one or more carrier oils to prepare the base oil. Then add a few drops of your favorite essential oil or a combination of 2 or 3 essential oils. Shake the container thoroughly to mix the oils properly.
Your own unique homemade massage oil is ready! Store this homemade massage oil in a cool dark place and close the lid tightly.
Homemade Recipes For Massage Oils
- To prepare relaxing and soothing homemade massage oil, use a combination of carrier oil and lavender, rosemary and bergamot essential oils.
- To keep your skin supple, soft and smooth use combination of palm rosa, lavender and patchouli essential oils.
- To prepare baby massage oil, use carrier oil and lavender essential oil.
- To prepare stress relief massage oil, use bergamot, mandarim, lavender, lemon grass essential oils with carrier oil.
Benefits Of Massage Therapy Oils
- Carrier oils act as lubricants, reduce friction, provide nourishment and remove irritation. They are used as a base for essential oils and help essential oils to be absorbed into the skin easily.
- Essential oils have tremendous healing capacity and are used to treat a variety of conditions such as stress, anxiety, depression, insecurity, loneliness, low self esteem, fatigue, panic attacks, poor memory, postnatal depression etc.
- Massage oils are good for acne, skin allergies, dandruff, dry skin, stretch marks, varicose veins and wrinkles.
- They are also helpful for immune system, arthritis, asthma, bronchitis, colds and flu.
- Massage therapy is good nausea, indigestion, insomnia, menopause and periods (heavy, irregular, painful),
- They are used to relieve headaches, migraine, muscle aches, sciatica and sprains.