You may be experiencing numbness in your lips but you do not know what causes this kind of discomfort and what can you exactly do in controlling it. Well, it might be hard if you do not go for a little research on what the possible causes of lip numbness are. Numbness in lips is actually quite a hard condition to identify with a single cause since there can be many factors to explain why you are experiencing this sensation. However, to help you deal with this discomfort, the following can assist you in understanding the underlying reasons why this happens in your lips.
Numbness in Lips Causes (Upper and Lower Lips)
Numbness and tingling in lips can be caused by a number of factors. These reasons can include the following:
- Allergies to food, medicines, or other stuff
- Consuming poisonous plants such as the glory lily
- A sore inside your mouth
- Intake of extremely cold or hot food
- Regular chewing of tobacco
- Exposure to temperatures below zero degrees resulting to frostbite
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Excess alcohol and other drugs consumption
- The body’s exposure to toxic chemicals in large amounts
- A deeper underlying disorder such as diabetes, hypoglycemia, tetany, and others.
Home Remedies and Natural Cures for Lip Numbness
How can lip numbness be treated?
Since there are different reasons as to why a person experiences numbness in lips, different remedies are also taken into consideration.
- Of course, the best thing to do is to see your doctor as soon as you feel this kind of abnormality in your lips. Your doctor will advise you to go on a series of tests to help you identify the cause of the numbness in your lips and of course provide you with possible treatment.
- Applying petroleum jelly can also protect your lips from below normal temperatures causing your lips to be numb.