The lips are susceptible to drying and itching because they do not produce natural oils to protect them against heat and cold weather. Change in weather and environment are some of the usual causes of itchy chapped lips. Generally, chapped lips have the following symptoms:
Symptoms of Itchy Chapped Lips
- Manageable pain
- Crack lips
- Peeling lips
- Tenderness and sensitivity of lips
- Dried lips
Causes of Itchy Chapped Lips
There are several causes of itchy chapped lips. Some of them include:
- Cosmetic product allergy
- Prolonged exposure to sunlight and cold areas
- Riboflavin deficiency
- Vitamin A, B and C deficiencies
- Skin disorders
- Allergic reaction to fabric, irritants and bath supplies
- Allergic reaction to medication or certain drugs
- Kawasaki disease
- Chemical exposure
Natural Remedies and Home Cures for Dry Chapped Lips
Having itchy chapped lips is not a dangerous condition, and they can be treated with simple home remedies.Some of these home remedies:
- Apply aloe vera gel or petroleum jelly on your lips to moisturize them.
- Avoid flavored toothpaste.
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate and nourish your skin including your lips naturally.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- You can also avoid getting itchy chapped lips by eating fresh fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin A. A healthy diet is important if you want to maintain a healthy skin.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunshine.
- Do not stay too long in cold areas.
- Rub a slice of cucumber on your lips to moisturize them.
- Saline bath will also help in bringing back the moisture on your lips.
- A need to change your lifestyle is necessary to heal your lips faster. Quit smoking and apply lip balms.