To treat your itchy burning lips, it is important for you determine the cause of the itchiness. Some red burning itching lips are due to common allergies such as allergic reaction to food and other substances that inevitably gets into contact with the mouth. Dry or extremely cold weather can also lead to drying of your lips. Nutritional deficiencies, psychological factors, and other oral conditions can also lead to burning and itchy lips.
Home Remedies and Tips for Itchy Burning Lips
To avoid speculation and to get proper diagnosis, it is important for you to seek medical advice.However, you should know that burning itching lips can be treated at home with simple remedies that do not cost anything unlike commercial treatment. Some of the most effective home remedies you can apply are the following:
- Have a healthy and balanced diet rich in B vitamins and minerals such as iron and zinc.
- Avoid food that could trigger allergic reactions and tissue agitation.
- If your burning itching lips are due to oral conditions and other diseases such as diabetes and hypothyroidism, it would be best for you to treat or manage the underlying conditions to eliminate the itchiness and burning of your lips.
- Avoid licking your lips because it will further dry up your lips. Instead, keep your lips moisturized as much as possible because dryness of the lips will contribute to itchiness. You can apply aloe vera gel on your lips to soothe and cool down the burning sensation on your lips.
- Do not scratch your lips because it might cause cuts and minor opening on your lips and will expose you to harmful microorganisms.
- Apply petroleum jelly on your lips to heal your burning itching lips.
- As much as possible, drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin including your lips.