Laser Freckle Removal
This is a procedure done to help remove freckles or small spots on the skin. It should be done by an experienced professional because it makes use of a high powered cosmetic later. If not handled right, it can cause damage to the skin.
- A laser light is passed over the skin
- The spots, brown spots especially, have been designed to block and absorb certain types of light
- Once the spots come in contact with the laser, they are damaged by the heat and will eventually peel off and fade.
Most dermatologists recommend the use of green or blue laser light for patients who want to have their freckles removed.
- There will be some degree of pain, but most of the patients who undergo the procedure find it more annoying than painful
- Most of the time, doctors do not even use numbing creams for the procedure
If a patient is afraid of the possibility of pain, they may want to ask their doctors about the use of topical anesthesia.
Is Laser Freckle Removal Permanent?
Yes. This is a permanent procedure and the freckles that have been removed will not come back.
In some instances, patients are going to notice some bleaching of the skin. However, the body makes up for this and the coloration will return, but the freckles will stay away.
One thing that laser removal does not do is to prevent future freckles from appearing. Age spots could appear on the treated skin again, but it will not be the same ones that have been removed.
This can be prevented with the use of proper UV protection.
Laser Freckle Removal Side Effects, Cost
Two of the most common side effects of laser freckle removal are:
- Post-procedural pain or itching
- Crusting and peeling of the treated skin
- Skin Dryness
These symptoms can last up to two weeks after the freckles have been removed.
The cost of laser freckle removal procedure is going to differ from clinic to clinic. The extent of the procedure will also affect the cost.