A retroverted or tipped uterus happens when the uterus abnormally tips backward toward the spine. This anatomy is proven not to cause infertility.
Causes Of Retroverted Uterus Infertility
- Retroverted uterus is completely normal in most cases.
- Multiple pregnancy. Repeated distension of the uterus makes it lose its original position. This is what happens in twin/triplet pregnancies.
- Menopause. During this stage, estrogen drops dramatically that causes the ligaments that hold it in place weakens.
- Certain disease of the reproductive system. Conditions like pelvic inflammatory disease and endometriosis (displaced uterine lining tissues) can cause tipping of the uterus.
- Surgery in the pelvic area.
Retroverted Uterus Infertility Symptoms
- Tipping of the uterus generally presents no symptoms at all.
- When present, it may include painful sexual intercourse.
- Dysmenorrhea or pain during menstruation.
- Discomfort is felt due to the pressure that the retroverted uterus places on the rectum.
- Low back pain.
- Frequent Urinary tract infection
- There is some literature that relates tipped uterus to fertility difficulties.
Retroverted Uterus And Pregnancy
Here are some tips for Tipped Uterus Conception
- Consider having a pelvic exam to correctly diagnose the condition.
- The very first thing to do is to consult your doctor.
- Discuss with your partner any discomforts during intercourse.
- Try if a knee-to-chest exercise can do the trick. You can do this by lying on your back, flex your hips and knees. Then let your knees reach your chest.
- A surgery may be performed to straighten the uterus.
- Use of pessary. Pessaries are doughnut-shaped devices inserted inside the vagina. They are rarely prescribed since they have been thought to cause infection.