Anyone who has suffered from herpes knows how agonizing the disease is. Herpes blisters are not only disturbing but even painful. The episodes of herpes outbreak can often recur time and again. Herpes is a viral disease caused by herpes simplex virus. It is caused by same family of virus that is known to cause chickenpox.
Herpes simplex virus enters our body from direct skin to skin contact. A cut or bruise facilitates the entry of herpes virus in your body. A person suffering from herpes simplex virus can infect another person who has come in direct contact with him.
Currently there is no permanent cure of herpes simplex disease, and it often returns when the circumstances in the body are favorable for its outbreak. Of course an antiviral therapy at the onset of symptoms can shorten the course of the disease as well as its severity.
Natural Ways To Prevent Herpes Outbreaks
Herpes simplex virus can cause small blisters in your mouth or in the genitals. They are commonly known as ‘cold sores’. The blisters remain for few days leading to shallow ulcer which gradually heal. Herpes is most infectious from the time of blister formation till the shallow ulceration heals.
Once the symptoms ebb, the virus remains latent in the spinal nerves, with favorable circumstances the virus again reactivates producing those agonizing symptoms such as tingling, burning pain and blister formation.
Now let us know how to prevent the frequent breakouts of herpes:
Preventing herpes simplex virus in the first place is considered to be the best. As genital herpes is spread by sexual contact, the best measure to prevent the infection is to follow abstinence when herpes appears in its active state or else you can infect your partner. Use of condom during sexual act can prevent the spread of infection to some extent.
- Herpes breakouts are frequent when your immune system is low. So first step is to boost your immune system. Reduce stress as it affects your immunity. Relax and walk for few minutes daily. A brisk walk can increase your hormonal circulations that prevent the outbreak of herpes.
- Eat healthy food. Food that contains antioxidants and flavanoids. It helps to keep your immune status at its optimum. Incorporate fruits and vegetables as they are rich source of antioxidants.
- Drink green tea regularly when you are suffering from herpes. It prevents herpes outbreaks naturally. The ingredients in green tea are known to increase body’s T cell, which are meant to keep your immune system strong.
Diet For Preventing Herpes Outbreaks
You may be surprised to know that diet also helps to prevent the outbreaks of herpes.
According to one theory, foods that contain excess of Arginine, a type of protein initiates and provoke the latent herpes virus in your body for its outbreak. Reduce these foods in your diet in order to prevent herpes outbreaks. Such foods are chocolates, peanuts, protein shakes, muscle building formulas.
- Eat diet rich in lysine. Include vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, cabbage, fruits such as avocado, figs, pears, mangoes, eggs, brewer’s yeast, chicken soup, sprouts etc.
- Eat food that contains Zinc to prevent herpes outbreaks. They are pumpkin seeds, seafood, legumes, whole grains, and all types of beans.
- Abstain from alcohol and smoking as they reduce your immune level.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners; avoid white flour and bread prepared from white flour.
- Stay away from processed and junk food.
A simple lifestyle that consists of staying free from stress, eating healthy diet, natural foods that contain vitamins and minerals and mild exercise is all that you need to prevent herpes outbreaks if you are infected with the virus.