Eating spicy food can produce different type of feeling for all of us. For some people eating spicy food is enjoyable. The sparks and trembling on tongue and warming of body may be likened by some. On the other side, spicy food for some people can be absolutely terrifying experience. The fiery and burning on lips and tongue as well as stomach pain can be frightful experience. The reason why each person reacts differently is still debatable, the ingredients in spicy food such as red pepper, chili and the compound present in the spices can be the cause for discomfort.If you are suffering from stomach ache after a spicy meal, there are home remedies that can ease your pain so that you can get back to enjoying the food that you love. However, if you are suffering from stomach ulcers, be careful; avoid eating spices as it can further harm your stomach and ulcer.
Causes for Stomach Ache After Eating Spicy Food
Gustatory scientists have revealed various theories that may produce stomach pain after eating spices. Actually adding spices to the food increases the taste. But it can also produce untoward gastric problems for some people.Here are some common reasons for stomach ache after a spicy meal.
- There are many varieties of spices used to enhance the flavor and taste of the food. The most common among them used is chilies. One of the active chemical substances present in chilies is capsaicin. This chemical is present in all types of chilies such as jalapenos, habaneros, etc. When you eat foods that contain chilies, the capsaicin comes in contact the stomach lining. In some, who are stomach lining may get irritated to such extent where they may experience stomach pain. Usually such pain is for a while and settles after few hours.
- Indigestion: Sometimes the body may disagree with certain foods. This may result in gasses, belching and fullness in the stomach. If such foods are hot and spicy, the trouble may become worse in the form of stomach pain.
- Stomach ulcer: Eating spicy food is not responsible for development of ulcer in stomach. However, if you are suffering from stomach ulcer and hyperacidity, eating spicy food can worsen the symptoms of pain in stomach. This is because the chemicals present in spices such as capsaicin irritates the stomach lining. Stomach produces more of acid and cause more damage to the ulcerated area leading to inflammation and sometimes even bleeding from the ulcer.
Home Remedies to Alleviate Stomach Pain from Spicy Food
If you have past experience of stomach pain after eating spicy food, the best way to avoid it is to stop eating foods that are heavily spiced. This is more necessary if you are suffering from stomach ulcer. However, if you are not suffering from any such problem and may experience upset stomach after eating spicy food, there are several ways that can help to manage the pain and discomfort. Here are few important and effective home remedies:
- Drink one glass of cold milk or an ice cream. This will neutralize the burning effect of capsaicin and help to reduce the inflammation of stomach lining.
- Butter milk is another dairy product that is effective in neutralizing the effect of capsaicin. It reduces the inflammation in the stomach produced by chilies and bell peppers.
- Peppermint tea is beneficial in relieving the stomach ache caused after eating spicy food. It alleviates heartburn, vomiting, acid reflux etc that are causes by eating spicy food.
- Ginger root is effective remedy in case of stomach problems such as upset stomach, indigestion, vomiting, nausea and stomach pain. Ginger soothes irritated stomach caused after eating spicy food. Cut few pieces of ginger and prepare ginger tea. Strain the boiled tea and drink half or one cup of it.