Mucus is a thick viscous material which is released from mucus membrane, the thin lining which coats the inner wall of urinary system. Mucus membrane is also present in intestines, lungs, nasal passage etc. The primary function of mucus membrane is to protect the walls from different substances which enter the organ. Secondly it facilitates easy passage, for example in case of intestine it is the fecal matter.
Urethra, bladder, ureters, and the kidney which form the urinary tract is also protected from inside by thin lining of mucus membrane. By its nature, urine is acidic and the inner walls can get damaged in the absence of mucus membrane.A small amount of mucus discharged in urine is normal; however, when large quantity of mucus is present in urine, it indicates something is wrong in the urinary tract. Normally the urine is clear, but excess of mucus makes it cloudy in appearance. Let us know why too much of mucus is excreted in urine and how to deal with it.
What Causes Excess Mucus In Urine?
- Urinary tract infection: The most common reason for presence of mucus in urine is infection in the urinary tract. Bacterial infection can occur anywhere in the urinary tract, but usually it is occurs in bladder and spreads to different organs of urinary system. Burning urine, increased frequency of urine, fever, etc are some of the presenting symptoms.
- Sexually transmitted disease: Gonorrhea and Chlamydia are two common sexually diseases which affect the urinary system. There is excess of mucus discharge in urine, usually yellow like pus in gonorrhea. Extreme burning sensation while passing urine is characteristic feature of gonorrhea, few days after exposure. The urine may be foul smelling.
- Stones in urinary tract: Stones in kidney, urinary bladder or ureter can cause discharge of mucus in urine. With presence of stones, there is increased risk of secondary infection which may be blamed for mucus discharge.
- Tumor in urinary tract: Tumor in kidney, bladder can cause cloudy urine. Along with mucus, there may be passage of blood which turns the urine red. Usually there is no associated burning pain.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Mucus In Urine
Any woman or man who finds cloudy appearance of urine should seek medical help. After examination of urine the physician will be able to prescribe suitable antibiotic to treat urinary tract infection, if that is the cause for excess of mucus in urine. A course of antibiotic therapy may be for 7 to 10 days depending on the severity and other associated symptoms.
- Patient should drink plenty of water in order to flush out bacteria from the urinary tract. At least 8 to 10 glasses of water should be consumed in a day. It will also help for removal of tiny stones lodged in urinary tract.
- Cranberry juice and yogurt are natural cure for urinary tract infection. Drink cranberry juice once or twice in a day. It helps to dislodge the bacteria attached to the bladder wall and flush out through urine. Yogurt is beneficial as it contains healthy bacteria.
- Maintain personal hygiene. It is essential for women as their urethra is short which facilitates the bacteria to enter easily through vagina.
- Tumor in urinary tract requires medical treatment which may consist of chemotherapy, radiation or surgery.