Gallstones are small stones present in the gallbladder. Presence of gallstone in men as compared to women is fairly low; however it is not totally excluded. Gallstone in men is likely to occur in the middle age and after 40 years. Most of the gallstones are pebble like in shape and they are formed due to excess of cholesterol, bilirubin, and other waste materials in the bile.
Before discussing the symptoms of gallstones, let us know how they are formed in the gallbladder.
Bile is produced in the liver and it is stored in the gallbladder, which is situated below the liver.Gallbladder is a pear shaped hollow sac. The stored bile is utilized for digestion of fats when required. When the bile (liquid) stored in the gallbladder hardens, it form pieces of material resembling stones. These are called gallstones.
Usually there are two types of stones, cholesterol stones and pigment stones. 90 percent of stones are made of cholesterol stones and they are yellow to green in color. Pigment stones are bilirubin stones and they are dark black in color.
There can be number of small stones or single large stone in the gallbladder.Many times both varieties of stones are present in the same individual. Gallstones can get impacted in the tubes called ducts that carry bile. This causes inflammation of the duct and the gallbladder, causing pain and other symptoms.
Symptoms Of Gallstones In Men
Gallstones symptoms are easily identifiable. A man suffering from gallstone inside the gallbladder may have following symptoms:
- The common symptom of gallstone is chronic pain in the upper abdomen. Pain appears when the stone blocks the flow of bile in the bile duct.
- Pain is sudden in nature, it appears on the right side of the upper abdomen and radiates to the back between the two shoulder blades.
- Pain due to gallstone is excruciating, and it usually occurs after a fatty diet. It often starts in the night and usually the pain lasts for 30 minutes to few hours.
- Bloating of abdomen after heavy meal.
- Nausea and vomiting are associated with gallstone colic.
- Fever with chills is common with gallstone pain.
- Jaundice sets in when the gallstone blocks and the condition is known as obstructive jaundice.
- Together with jaundice gallstone in men may have itching all over the body.
- Clay colored stool with jaundice is also a symptom of gallstone in men.
In many cases, gallstones do not have any symptoms and they may be detected accidentally on X-ray tests done for some other disease. Such types of gallstones are called silent stones.
What Causes Gallstones In Men?
Excess of cholesterol or bilirubin in the bile without enough presence of bile salts causes increased concentration of bilirubin or cholesterol, leading to gallstone formation. If the gallbladder does not empty the bile as required for digestion it reversely increases bile content in the gallbladder.
Pigment stone formation is not fully understood. The stones are present in men who suffer from cirrhosis of liver. If there is infection in the biliary tract or a blood disorder such as sickle cell anemia can also be a cause of gallstone development due to excess of bilirubin production.
Other contributing factors for gallstone formation are:
- Sex: The proportionate risk for gallstone formation is more in women as compared to men.
- Weight: Obese men are at greater risk of suffering from gallstone as compared to thin person.
- Men taking anti cholesterol medicine.
- If there is family history of gallstone.
- Men above the age of 40 years.
- Men who lose weight rapidly following a crash diet.
- Person with diabetes.
Home Remedies For Gallstones Removal
Home treatment for gallstones remedy includes the following:
- Drink enough water. At least 8 to 10 glasses of water is necessary, as it will flush out the toxins. Drink coffee regularly two times in a day.
- Eat citrus fruits as they are effective in treating gallstones. Apple is rich source of pectin, this enzyme is known to act on the gallstone and dissolve it. You can also consume apple juice regularly if you want to get rid of gallstone. Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with apple juice; it is an effective home remedy for treating gallstone colic.
- Do not eat junk food and foods rich in carbohydrate, and foods that contain saturated fats. A gallstone diet consists of food such as cucumbers, green beans, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, grape juice, apple and orange juice etc.
- Foods to avoid in gallstones are red meat, eggs, poultry, refined foods, white flour, and artificial sweeteners.
- An herb known as quebra pedra is used in the form of tea for effective cure of gallstone disease.
The other option of treatment is gallbladder surgery, it is known as cholecystectomy. There are medications which are effective in dissolving the gallstones; however they take long time to do so. Therefore they can be used in a man who is not fit for surgery.