Also referred to as chest pain, the heaviness of chest can be experienced by most people due to several reasons. Chest pain is extremely an unpleasant condition in your chest and can be associated by many factors.
Oftentimes, heavy chest feeling occurs in adults under a variety of reasons. These underlying reasons can be one of the following causes of chest heaviness.
Causes of Heaviness of Chest
- For some people, the chest pain sensation can be one symptom of lung problem such as pneumonia.
- Chest pain can also occur due to musculoskeletal reasons, which can be a result of muscle strain or injury. Damages in the ribs caused by fractures or tumors can also aggravate the condition of chest pain.
- Another reason that can explain the occurrence of chest heaviness can be a type of gastrointestinal or gastroesophageal reflux. When gastrointestinal reflux occurs, the contents that were carried into the stomach travel up to the esophagus causing the tightness sensation in the chest.
- Lastly, chest pain heaviness can also be caused by a condition called angina. Angina can greatly cause the body to feel the squeezing effect in the chest. It is commonly caused by anxiety and depression.
Most importantly, the condition of chest pain needs to be properly given attention. If you experience the symptoms of chest pain, it is important to immediately consult your doctor for medical help.
Symptoms of Chest Heaviness
A person with chest pain can experience the following conditions:
- Pain may begin in the chest, which eventually spreads to other areas such as the throat, jaw, shoulders, and either arm.
- Sharp or burning sensation in the chest
- The feeling of tightness in the chest area
- Too much sweating, nausea, dizziness, or even shortness of breath
- The pain in the chest can spread to the stomach thereby creating the feeling of indigestion.
- Palpitations may also occur when one is experiencing heaviness of chest.