Blood is an essential fluid in humans. Blood delivers oxygen and nutrients to each and every cell of the body. Pulse pressure is the pressure that is produced by the volume of blood while flowing through the circulatory system. A bounding pulse is the pulse that you feel as though your heart is pounding. You can feel the pulse when you put your fingers over the artery with pressure that is just sufficient to obliterate it during a heartbeat.
Bounding pulse is strong and powerful. Medical practitioners refer it as palpitation of the heart.When you have pounding pulse, you may feel that your heart is beating faster or pounding. The pounding pulse can be felt in arteries of neck and even over the elbow.
If bounding pulse occurs for few seconds, it may not be a grave concern. However, if you have some underlying heart problem, talk to your doctor regarding the bounding pulse. There are several causes that can cause bounding pulse. Some of them are benign while there are few concerning indicating an underlying illness.
Possible Causes Of Bounding Pulse
Bounding pulse may not be concerning problem if it is sporadic but if it persists for a long period of time, it may be an indication of concerning health issue.Sometimes the cause of bounding pulse is not known, while in some cases there may be a reason. Let us understand the underlying causes that may lead racing pulse.
- Anxiety: Your heart is the first organ that may react to a stressful situation. Anxiety is a type of response that may be associated with stress. Bounding pulse is common when you are anxious and stressed.
- Fever: High fever can produce bounding pulse.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy the volume of blood becomes more. It can cause bounding and fluttering pulse.
- Anemia: Patients with anemia can have bounding pulse.
- Heart failure: Bounding pulse can be a sign of heart failure.
- Arrhythmia: Abnormal rhythm of heart as in case of valvular disease can produce bounding pulse as one of its characteristic symptoms.
- Hypertension: A person may feel his pulse bounding and pulsating when he has high blood pressure.
- Thyroid disease: Diseases such as hyperthyroidism is known to cause forceful pulse.
- Drug toxicity: It occurs especially with toxicity of drug called digitalis. It is used for certain heart ailments. However, bounding pulse can be a symptom of overdose of this medicine.
Symptoms Of Bounding Pulse
Normally a bounding pulse can be easily appreciated by the patient. He may feel his pulse rate is faster. He can feel the forceful thump when he put his finger on the artery. Bounding pulse can be felt on any artery that lies below the skin. But most often it can be felt in area of neck, elbow, abdomen, temple, etc.
If a person experiences bounding pulse along with other symptoms such as dizziness, excessive abnormal sweating, lightheadedness, breathlessness uneasiness, feeling low, pressure on chest, pain in chest, neck, back and jaw it can be a symptom of impending heart attack. In such case patient must immediately consult his physician.
Diagnosis And Treatment Of Bounding Pulse
Bounding pulse can provide some clues to a condition, but often it occurs without any specific reason. The physician will discuss about the medical history as well as any family history of heart disease for before he rules out any underlying serious disease. He may also recommend certain tests such as electrocardiogram, 2-D echocardiography etc if he is suspecting any cardiac problem.
If the underlying reason for bounding pulse is heart arrhythmia or hyperthyroidism, person must take medicines as prescribed by the doctor for treating these conditions. If the underlying cause is gain of weight, try to reduce weight by regular exercising, walking, swimming, etc. Person must also eat healthy food to reduce weight.
If the underlying cause is due to anxiety and stress, person must try all his means to reduce his stress. Yoga, meditation, proper 7 to 8 hours of sleep, taking holiday breaks etc will help to calm the mind as well as body.
Patient must also reduce intake of alcohol, quit smoking and avoid coffee, tea in excess as they act as stimulants.