Eating large portion of food, fried and junk food, too much of sugar or regular alcohol consumption, living a sedentary life are some of the known causes for weight gain. However, there are many people who gain weight for no reason, even if they live a disciplined lifestyle which includes regular exercise for an hour and eat healthy diet.
Gaining weight for no reason is extremely annoying especially when you are conscious of your weight and remain active all the time. So what is the reason for such situation to occur? Actually, there is no single factor responsible for weight gain, it is a complex process and several factors are involved for weight gain.Let us know these factors.
What Causes Gaining Weight For No Reason?
- Hypothyroidism: it is the most common cause for gaining weight when there is no obvious reason found in a person. For this reason, doctors first advise the patient for thyroid hormone tests. In hypothyroidism, there is deficiency of thyroid hormone. As a result the metabolic activity in the body slows down and the patient starts gaining weight.
- Cushing syndrome: it is another metabolic disorder which results in excess secretion of cortisol hormone, which eventually leads to weight gain.
- Stress and strain: today’s life is full stress, be it a young boy or an adult individual, all do their work under stress to meet the dead lines and targets. Excess of stress initiates some biochemical processes in the body to cope and survive from the given situation. In its response, the body starts to store fuel as an energy source to fight back. This it does by slowing down the metabolic activities, it also releases some hormones such as cortisol and leptin. All this factors are responsible for weight gain, especially in the abdominal region.
- Sleep irregularity: Late night sleep and getting up late are not good for health. This may lead to a habit of eating midnight snacks. Lack of sleep at night also leads to biochemical changes and increase in the capacity of fat storage. There is also a psychological gain for sleeping early and waking up early in the morning. While the early riser completes many tasks in the early morning and exudes confidence, the lounger has to make up by burning midnight oil to complete unfinished work.
- Medications: certain medications are also known for gaining weight. These include prescriptions drugs for treating seizures, anti hypertensive, diabetes, contraceptive pills, antidepressants, steroids, etc. However, even if they are known to contribute to an extent for weight gain, one should not stop them as they are not the only cause for abnormal weight gain without any reason. Instead, you should seek the doctor’s advice.
- Middle age: as we grow old, our physical activities become less than in those days when we were young. This naturally slows down the metabolic activities in the body. During this period, especially in women nearing the menopausal age, lots of hormonal changes are observed. They give rise to hunger, lack of sleep and mood changes. All this changes lead to weight gain which we may notice.
Weight Gain For No Reason Symptoms
The symptoms may not be noticed immediately. There may be gradual rise in the weight.
The symptoms may be related to the under lying condition that is responsible for weight gain. For example hypothyroidism, stress etc:
- Constant body pain.
- Swelling on face and lower legs.
- Cannot tolerate cold air, fan, and other cold items.
- Voice becomes hoarse.
- Feels sleepy all the time.
- Dry skin.
- Sleep disturbance.
- Tensed muscles.
- Cramps in muscles.
- Gastrointestinal disturbances.
- Loss of energy and becomes less enthusiastic.
- Starts overeating.
- Starts drinking and cigarette smoking.