A right amount of good sleep is essential for maintaining healthy body and mind. While there are many people who often complain of sleep deprivation or loss of sleep, there are many others who feel their excessive sleepiness makes them more fatigued and weird. Almost everyone needs 7 to 8 hours sound sleep at night, but the number of hours is highly individual.
It is sensible to think that less sleep will make you tired and wired. But surprisingly, researchers have also found too much of sleep robs away the refreshing energy the next morning.It not only makes you more lethargic, regular excessive slumber can lead to grave health consequences such as diabetes, heart disease, depression and many more.
What Causes Excessive Sleeping?
The need for right amount of sleep may vary from person to person. There are several factors that may be taken into account such as age of a person, his health status, his level of activity, and his lifestyle. For example during illness, it is natural for a person to sleep more as the body needs more rest. But the period of sleep may vary at different stages of life.A small infant sleeps more than 12 hours in a day, while a toddler may sleep more than 8 to 9 hours. In general a healthy adult require quality sleep for 7 to 8 hours at night.
Sleeping too much can be related to a sleep disorder called sleep apnea. In this disorder a person stops breathing for a moment while he is still in his sleep. People with this disorder sleep more but their quality of sleep is compromised due to frequent disruption of sleep. Besides medical conditions, too much of sleep that causes wired feeling can be attributed to certain prescription medicines. People suffering from depression also sleep more than they need.
Negative Effects Of Sleeping Too Much
Oversleeping has many bad effects on health as many researchers have concluded.
- Obesity: Sleeping too much can make you weigh much more. According to certain studies people who slept more than 9 to 10 hours are more likely to become obese within 5 to 6 six years as compared to people who slept for regular 7 to 8 hours at night.
- Headache: In some people sleeping over a long time than standard is a cause for headache. Researchers believe it is to do with the neurotransmitters of brain that do not work in accordance.
- Diabetes: Sleeping too much can increase the risk of diabetes.
- Backache: Sleeping for long hours can be a cause for back ache.
- Depression: People suffering from depression feel more depressed when they slumber is in excessive.
How To Stop Sleeping Too Much?
If you suspect that you are over sleeping consult your doctor. He may be able to find any cause for your excessive sleepiness.
- Take a break from alcohol drinking if you are drinking it often. Consult your doctor to change medication that may be a cause for more sleepiness if you are taking prescribed medication.
- You need to have strong motivation for reducing your sleeping hours. Change the attitude towards sleep.
- Make a proper sleep schedule of sleeping time and waking hours. Keep an alarm clock near your bed. Fix the exact time of waking up regularly.
- Keep your bedroom more conducive for sleeping.
- Avoid drinking coffee or any drinks that contain caffeine before you relax and sleep in your bed.