Most women feel bloated especially before menstruation. Water retention, or edema in scientific term, can be due to several reasons but it is usually associated with bloated feeling, swollen legs, swollen abdomen and other extremities, puffy fingers, and heavy body. Although edema affects more women, it can also affect men. To treat edema, you should primarily identify the cause of your water retention. If it is caused by your hormones, then there is nothing much you can do about it but mitigate its effects.
What Are the Causes of Water Retention?
For women, the usual cause of water retention is premenstrual syndrome or PMS.Due to normal hormonal fluctuations every month, the kidney retains more fluids resulting to extra pounds on your weight. Other causes of water retention are the following:
- Kidney problems
- Genetics. Some individuals are prone to water retention compared to others
- Kidney diseases
- Heart problems
- Liver disorders
- Not drinking enough water
- Thyroid problems
- Excessive salt in the body
Water Retention Natural Diuretics
Water retention can easily be managed. In fact, there are a lot of home remedies you can apply for quick relief and prevention. For hormonal causes of edema, the most you can do is lessen the effects of water retention like taking up calcium and high calcium foods and herbal tea.Herbal diuretic tea is proven to deliver relief from various illnesses and it can also help in flushing out excess water in the body without any side effects. For further home and organic remedies for water retention, you can consider these following methods:
- Do a lot of exercises. To prevent water retention and to generally lighten your body weight, take a good walk or ride a bicycle to your favorite grocery store to flex your muscles instead of riding in your car. Playing tennis is also a good way of flushing the excess water out of your body.
- Have a healthy diet and this means cutting down salty foods, which could add excess water in your body not to mention, cause life-threatening diseases. A good source of salt and preservatives are junk and fast foods so cut away the junk and consume cooked foods prepared with less salt and oil.
- Another way of effectively preventing the retention of unwanted water in your body is by elevating your feet a few minutes each day.