Water blisters on legs are not actually painful but they can be a source of discomfort and prevent you from doing your usual daily activities. Having water blisters on your legs can also keep you from wearing your favorite shoes and may even cause you some embarrassment due to the unsightly appearance on the skin. If left unattended, the water blister can produce pus and get further infection.
Causes of Leg Blisters
- The usual cause of water blisters on the legs is constant friction or the frequent brushing of your skin against fabric or new shoes. Water blisters can be painful when the blisters burst.
- Water blisters are usually located on the heels and are caused by a new pair of shoes especially leather and other shoes made of hard materials.
- Cigarette burns and other burns on the skin can also cause water blisters. The more severe the burn is, the quicker the water blister would be.
- Viral infection
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Chicken pox
- Prickly heat due to ever exposure to sunlight can also cause water blisters.
- You can also have water blisters on the legs by taking medications. Certain drugs can cause side effects and allergic reactions.
- Allergies from detergent bars and cleaning powders
Home Remedies for Water Blisters on Legs or Foot
To effectively treat any health situation, you should always look at the cause of it. Water blisters on the legs can be prevented. The following are home remedies you can apply:
- If you are going to wear a new pair of shoes, stick on a bandage on your heels to prevent direct contact and friction against the shoes. Use a clean and sterile bandage to avoid infection
- Avoid wearing ill-fitted shoes regardless if they fit perfectly or the shoes are right for the occasion.
- Take off your shoes as soon as you get home. Once you get to your house, immediately take off your shoes and change to a comfortable slippers.
- If you cannot help wearing a new pair of shoes, cut a soft pad or bandage and stick it around the blister to allow the pad to absorb friction.
- Avoid picking on the water blister to prevent it from getting infected. Once the water burst, the opening is susceptible to infection especially if your hands are dirty.