Swollen glands are the body’s usual reaction when attacked by an infection. It is generally caused by tonsillitis or sinus problems and usually comes with pain, discomfort, and sore throat. Having swollen glands is not a health condition but the body’s defense mechanism and an indication that you are infected. Swollen glands usually come with slight fever and difficulty in eating and neck or head movement.
Causes of Swollen Glands in Groin
- Hodgkin Disease
- Filariasis Disease
- Sometimes due to leukemia
- Bubo (STD)
- Any bacterial infection in lower part of the leg like boils or abscesses
Home Remedies and Cures for Swollen Lymph Glands in Groin
Having swollen glands is not a life-threatening health situation, and they can be treated with simple home remedies that do not require financial expenses.If you are experiencing swollen glands, try doing these home solutions.
- Most viral infections are self-limiting or it normally goes away if given proper attention. One of the most effective ways to treat viral infections such as swollen glands is by taking enough rest to allow the body and cells to regenerate and let the body’s natural defenses do the work.
- You can apply some light massage on the area with castor oil or lavender oil mixed with mineral oil or petroleum jelly. Applying light pressure will help the blood circulate freely and reduce the pain. You can massage the area 3 to 4 times a day till the pain eases.
- Drink a glass of water with a teaspoon of sea salt and baking soda.
- To reduce the inflammation and pain, you can apply alternate hydrotherapy. Get a basin of hot water and another for cold water. Get a towel, soak it on the hot water and gently compress it on the affected area. After which, get the other towel, soak it on the basin with cold water and compress it on the affected area. Do this repetitively, alternating the hot and cold compress.
- Drink lukewarm lemon juice with a teaspoon of honey as often as you can to cure the infected glands and to soothe the pain.
- Chamomile tea is also proven effective to cure swelling glands and sore throat.
When Do I Seek Medical Help?
Swollen glands are the symptoms of bacterial but mostly viral infection. Although having swollen glands does not pose a serious health risk, it is important for you to seek medical intervention when having the following symptoms:
- Prolonged fever
- Inflamed and reddish skin on top of the swollen glands
- The swelling occurs for more than two weeks
- Weight loss
- Night sweats
- Abnormal growth of lymph nodes in groin area.