Swollen feet and ankles is a condition where there is fluid buildup on foot muscles and tissues as a result of standing for a long time or excessive walking. Swelling or edema can be treated with natural remedies but should be checked by a physician if the swelling is persistent and accompanied by rapid weight gain, shortness of breath, or skin damages due to swelling.
Causes of Foot and Ankle Swelling
A lot of factors can be attributed to foot and ankle swelling. Some of the causes are manifestations of serious health conditions in the liver, kidney, heart, and problems in the blood vessels.Other causes of swollen feet may include:
- Excess sodium in the body
- High salt and carbohydrate diet
- Pre menstrual syndrome
- Varicose veins
- Use of illegal drugs
- Oral contraceptives
- Injury in the muscles
- Laxative abuse
- Allergic reaction
Natural Swollen Foot Remedy
A swollen ankle or foot is not a serious condition. In fact, a lot of swollen foot remedies can be administered at home without necessarily having to consult a doctor. Some of the most effective home remedies for swollen foot and ankle include the following:
- Elevate your feet while resting or watching television. Rest your feet against the wall in such a way that your buttocks are almost touching the wall.
- Wrap your ankle or foot with ice pack to soothe the swelling. Cold gel pack or frozen green peas will also help in reducing the pain and swelling.
- You can get rid of the swelling by stretching your legs in front of you while sitting. Rotate your leg clockwise for 10 minutes then rotate it counterclockwise for another 10 minutes. Do the same to your other leg to improve your blood circulation.
- To get rid of the fluid on your feet and ankles, get slices of cucumber and wrap them on your feet with cotton. Cucumber will absorb the fluid and make the swelling disappear.
- You can also heal equal parts of water and vinegar then soak a piece of cloth on the mixture and wrap the cloth on your feet for five minutes. After which, mix equal parts of vinegar and cold water and soak another cloth on the mixture and wrap it on your feet for five minutes. Do the procedure thrice to get the desired effect.