Natural Remedies for Salty Phlegm, Get Rid of the Discomfort
Phlegm is that irritating and incessant production of mucus along the upper respiratory tract. It could be due to bacterial or viral infections as well as allergic reactions to pollutants and irritants present in the environment, sometimes it can be salty tasting phlegm.
There are many ways to expel phlegm. You can take antibiotics but some of them may have side effects, and they can incur expenses without guarantees of treatment. However, there are several safe and effective ways to expectorate phlegm without spending that much.
Having salty phlegm on your throat and the constant effort to expel it out may cause embarrassment and tiredness. Getting rid of salty phlegm is not that difficult; all you have to do is try these easy home remedies:
Home Remedies and Natural Cures to Get Rid Of Salty Tasting Phlegm
- Drink plenty of water. Take 8 to 10 glasses of water every day to wash out the mucus and phlegm through normal excretory process such as urinating. Taking lots of fluids will also help soften the phlegm and makes coughing and expectoration easier and less painful.
- Since most causes of phlegm is viral and bacterial infection, eating fruits and vegetables which are rich in vitamin C could help strengthen your immune system and fight off infections. Drinking lots of citrus juices could also speed up your healing process.
- Get plenty of rest to allow your body to defend itself from infections and anti-oxidants.
- Get warm water and mix it with lemon juice with a teaspoon of honey to boost your immunity.
- For the meantime, while the phlegm is still with you, avoid eating dairy products.
- Take hot shower bath at least twice a day to allow mucus evaporation and also to soften the phlegm in your lungs.
- Boil some water and pour the hot water on a basin. Add some drops of mentholated oil and inhale the vapor for as long as the water is hot or while there are still vapors coming out from the water. This is also an effective method to soften the phlegm.