Experiencing pain and swelling in the testicles is a condition known as orchitis. This is a common condition among male individuals, and it is estimated that about 90 percent of males experience this problem at any point of their lives. Aside from the swelling, the condition is also extremely painful that it is like a torture for sufferers. Moreover, the patient is also subjected to a sort of emotional distress with the condition.
Swollen Testicle Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Being a widespread condition, it is important for males to know the various causes of the problem.
- A chronic urinary tract infection in the patient is one of the top causes of having swollen and painful testicles. This happens because having UTI causes both testicles to become tender, triggering inflammation. The situation is even more painful during times of bowel movements or situations when the sufferer exerts force such as when lifting a heavy object.
- Having mumps is also one of the factors that can trigger a male to have swollen and painful testicles. However, in a condition resulting from having the mumps virus, the pain and swelling of the testicles usually fades the moment the mumps virus is treated.
- Another cause for having pain and swelling in the testicles is due to sexually transmitted disease such as clamydia. It is estimated that 30 percent of cases of swelling and pain in the testicles is an effect of having sexually transmitted disease.
- Scrotal infection is also one of the factors causing pain and swelling in the testicles.
- Injury to one’s testicles especially when hit by a severe force is also one of the factors that can cause a male person to experience pain and swelling in the area. This is most common among children and among athletes when active movements of the legs are required such as in the sport of soccer. Although the testicles are hardy in themselves, they may still sustain some form of damage. In situations like this, immediate consultation with a doctor is a must in order to assess the condition and apply treatment when needed.
Experiencing pain and swelling in the testicles is a condition that one should not happily ignore. Being a sensitive organ, the testicles can affect your normal mode of life, and any damage to it can go worse if left untreated. This is why in any ailment affecting the testicles, immediate treatment should be availed.