Pain and Swollen Testicle Treatment | Orchitis Causes and Symptoms

Experiencing pain and swelling in the testicles is a condition known as orchitis. This is a common condition among male individuals, and it is estimated that about 90 percent of males experience this problem at any point of their lives. Aside from the swelling, the condition is also extremely painful that it is like a torture for sufferers. Moreover, the patient is also subjected to a sort of emotional distress with the condition.

Swollen Testicle Causes, Symptoms and Treatment

Being a widespread condition, it is important for males to know the various causes of the problem.

  • A chronic urinary tract infection in the patient is one of the top causes of having swollen and painful testicles. This happens because having UTI causes both testicles to become tender, triggering inflammation. The situation is even more painful during times of bowel movements or situations when the sufferer exerts force such as when lifting a heavy object.
  • Having mumps is also one of the factors that can trigger a male to have swollen and painful testicles. However, in a condition resulting from having the mumps virus, the pain and swelling of the testicles usually fades the moment the mumps virus is treated.
  • Another cause for having pain and swelling in the testicles is due to sexually transmitted disease such as clamydia. It is estimated that 30 percent of cases of swelling and pain in the testicles is an effect of having sexually transmitted disease.
  • Scrotal infection is also one of the factors causing pain and swelling in the testicles.
  • Injury to one’s testicles especially when hit by a severe force is also one of the factors that can cause a male person to experience pain and swelling in the area. This is most common among children and among athletes when active movements of the legs are required such as in the sport of soccer. Although the testicles are hardy in themselves, they may still sustain some form of damage. In situations like this, immediate consultation with a doctor is a must in order to assess the condition and apply treatment when needed.

Experiencing pain and swelling in the testicles is a condition that one should not happily ignore. Being a sensitive organ, the testicles can affect your normal mode of life, and any damage to it can go worse if left untreated. This is why in any ailment affecting the testicles, immediate treatment should be availed.


  1. A S said:

    Dear D, need help.
    – I have this swollen condition for a long period now. Was tested at clinic and a buildup of fluid around testicles was observed. Blood tests revealed no STDS, the doctor prescribed some medicine.
    – The pain has subsided somehow but still persists. I have never injured them what so ever, from the scan they took at the clinic there was no twitching or turning observed.
    – I have taken in 21 days around 40 of this tablets, can this be an overdose or what.
    – I am in severe pain and nobody seems to know. In general I am a healthy person 57 years old eat good food, takes a little alcohol but when I take alcohol the pain is gone momentary but later its severe, there runs no cancer in my family either.
    – I am very busy in the work, should I take a break so the swelling can subside? Or must I take some inflammatory medication. Thanks

    November 17, 2010
    • PUP said:

      There are many reasons for swelling of testicles; it can be due to spermatocele, varicocele or a hydrocele or due to filariasis or due to trauma and infection.
      It is advisable to take rest for few days and review after that. You should seek a surgical opinion. Do not self medicate as it may be harmful to your body.

      November 19, 2010
  2. S J said:

    I am having pain near right side of testicle in region start of penis and thigh. Dr. declared it as right orchitis. I am suffering from 6 weeks. Treatment that I am taking

    Hetrazan 100
    Oflomac 400

    Still pain persists. Please suggest some satisfactory reply?

    December 20, 2010
  3. AJ said:

    I am having pain in my right testicle and it is swollen. It is since one week now. I went to the hospital but they have ruled out STI. It all started when I turned on one side and crushed my testicle. Can you suggest me any solution for my problem.

    February 3, 2014
    • PUP said:

      From the description that you have mentioned, the probable cause for pain and swelling in your testis seems to be due to trauma. Your doctor will prescribe anti inflammatory remedies that may help to reduce pain and swelling. However, it may take few days to heal. Sometimes you may also require an antibiotic medicine. Cold fomentation will also help to reduce the swelling and pain. Place a cold wet cloth on the affected area fro few minutes two to three times in a day. Take a pinch of turmeric powder mixed with one teaspoon of honey. Both are natural anti inflammatory agents.

      February 4, 2014
  4. EO said:

    I am suffering from pain and swelling in testes and my doctor has prescribed some medicines. I have almost finished the course but the symptoms still persist. Is there any way to reduce my problem?

    June 3, 2014
    • PUP said:

      Pain and swelling in testes can be due to many reasons. The condition is also known as epididmorchitis. It can be due to an infection, a traumatic injury etc. It is necessary to find the precise underlying cause. Sonography of testes may help to detect any pathology. Also you may need antibiotics. Ask your doctor if he has given any antibiotics besides anti inflammatory medicines. Meanwhile here are some steps that may help to reduce pain.
      • Take rest. Avoid any strenuous work.
      • Apply ice packs for few minutes two times in a day.
      • Wear a athletic supporter. It helps to alleviate pain.
      • While lying down on bed, put a rolled towel below the scrotum. This will provide support to the scrotum.
      • Lastly if you do not find relief consult a urologist.

      June 4, 2014
  5. Jackson said:

    In 2006 I had an operation to increase blood flow in my testicles which were getting smaller. About a year now I start experiencing pains that also resulted in swelling of the left testicle. I am not yet on any medication. What should I do?

    July 23, 2014
    • PUP said:

      The operation was almost done 8 years back. Swelling and pain may have resulted from trauma or any other cause such as infection etc. You have to consult an urologist for a physical check up. However, some of the natural measures will also help to reduce pain and swelling. Wear an undergarment which is not too tight but at the same time provides support to the testicles. At night avoid wearing undergarment to keep the area cool.

      July 26, 2014
  6. MK said:

    I have swelling and pain in my right testicle. Pain comes and goes all the time. There is sharp and burning pain in my lower tummy. Can you provide me some suggestions as I am afraid of having some serious illness?

    September 16, 2014
    • PUP said:

      From the history the probable cause seems to be orchitis or inguinal hernia. For diagnosis the symptoms perfectly it is necessary to consult your physician at the earliest. If possible you should visit emergency room for quick diagnosis of the condition.

      September 17, 2014
  7. CM said:

    My one year six month son has swollen testis. I have been to hospital and they are recommending undergoing operation. I am confused and unable to understand the reason. Can you tell me why it is necessary?

    November 14, 2014
    • PUP said:

      There are several reasons for swelling of scrotum. It can be due to hernia, hydrocele, a tumor, or teticular torsion etc. Diagnosis can be made only after physical examination. You can ask the physician about the diagnosis as they have examined your son.

      November 15, 2014
  8. MU said:

    I have swelling in right testes since 2yrears. There are frequent pains in the testes. Also there is fluid around the testes. What should I do to reduce the pain?

    March 19, 2015
    • PUP said:

      The swelling in testes according to the description appears to be due to hydrocele. If it is too large swelling, you may sometime suffer from pain. However, to confirm it consult your doctor. The ideal treatment for hydrocele of long duration is surgery.

      March 25, 2015

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.