Question: I want to know “why do I cough at night”? While in day time I don’t cough much as compared to night time, can you suggest some natural home remedies for nighttime cough relief?
Answer: Coughing at night only or coughing more in the night time is called ‘œnighttime cough’. Most common causes of coughing at nighttime are…
- Croup (this means percentage of humidity in the air at the night time, if humidity is more you will feel more coughing at night time)
- Acid Reflux (GERD) (Specially when you are laying)
- Post Nasal Drainage could also be one of the causes of nighttime cough.
Coughing is one of the most common and recurring ailments that anyone can have in his/her entire lifetime. Coughing may not be considered serious in itself, but it indeed causes a great deal of discomfort to anyone unfortunate enough to be affected by it. This is the reason that send people scampering elsewhere for the best cough relief in order to provide them some form of reprieve from constant coughing which irritates the throat.
However, as anyone affected by cough can attest, there is no single best remedy that provides cough relief. Compounding the problem is the fact that most cough relief medicines from the drugstore loses its effectiveness in time partly because the virus that causes cough can mutate, which makes them fairly resistant to cough relief medicines.As a result, cough treatment in this manner becomes too expensive, thus forcing people to look for alternative treatments such as cough home remedy.
Home Remedies for Nighttime Cough Relief
Nighttime Cough home remedy is a combination of science and sometimes folklore and beliefs. Nonetheless, a person affected by cough will not mind whatever the basis for a particular cough relief as long as it is effective in the treatment of cough. The following are some of the most common cough home remedy that is popular all over the world:
- In many countries, garlic is deep fried and the burnt garlic is grounded. The grounded garlic is then mixed with honey. The usual combination is a pinch of the burnt garlic with a teaspoon of honey. The honey helps in soothing the throat while the burnt garlic is thought to attack the virus that causes coughing. The benefit of this cough relief preparation is that it is natural and can be taken anytime. In fact, many people take the concoction whenever the throat becomes itchy. Another benefit is that honey is known to strengthen the immune system.
- Another Nighttime cough home remedy is drinking pure lemon juice every day. It is even advisable for one to drink the juice as often as needed, making it a good substitute for water. Pure lemon juice is known to strengthen the body’s immune system, aside from being a good cough relief.
- For people from the orient, drinking ginger tea is another favorite cough home remedy. In doing so, simply boil in a pot of water some ginger. In order to make the tea a lot stronger, simply add more ginger. It’s cool and soothing effect is known to provide relief to the throat.