Some people may not be aware but having phlegm is a normal health condition. Phlegm is a part of the body’s natural reaction to irritants that affect the lungs and the chest area. Although a natural reaction, it is nevertheless nasty and a must to get rid of.
Home Remedies to Get rid Brown and Gray Phlegm from Nose and Throat
So if phlegm has been bothering you of late, try the following ways to finally set you free from the bondage of brown or gray phlegm:
- The simplest way to get rid of brown phlegm and eliminate chest congestion is to inhale the steam from freshly boiled water. Put the water in a container that has an opening of at least 3 inches in diameter. Cup your hands over the opening of the container, leaving only a small opening for steam to escape and for you to inhale. To make the steam more soothing, you can add Vick’s Vapor Rub. Alternatively, you can also add some drops of brandy or whisky for a soothing relief.
- Add jalapeno or habanero pepper into freshly boiled water for you to inhale. The chilly effect of pepper will benefit you through loosening your chest and expulsion of phlegm.
- Increase the consumption of garlic. Garlic is known for its efficiency at loosening congested chests due to phlegm accumulation. You can either chew garlic raw or you can fry it a little and dip in sugar to improve its taste. You can also mix it with other foods.
- If you do not know any way to loosen the chest, make sure to drink plenty of fluids and get some rest. Increase the amount of water that you consume in a day in order to liquefy the phlegm and make it easier to expel.
- Drinking ginger tea is also another good way to cure phlegm, especially when hot. Ginger itself is known to be a good natural cure for various ailments and coupled with the warmth of ginger tea, you have the best solution in your hands. It has a cooling and soothing effect as the tea travels down your chest. You will noticeably feel relieved after one cup, although you can liberally consume it whenever you feel the need to do so.
- If you frequently spend your time in a room, it will also do well to place a humidifier in the room. This will add moisture to the environment which contributes to the loosening of your chest and facilitates the easy expulsion of phlegm.