Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD, is a typical behavioral and developmental disorder that can be treated in different ways. The most common treatment involves medication. However, medication treatment for this disorder mostly focuses on controlling or minimizing its symptoms only.
There are three known types of medications for ADHD. These are stimulants, non-stimulants and antidepressants. Although stimulants are the most common among the three, many physicians believe that antidepressants are effective in treating ADHD, as well.
- The generic name of Wellbutrin is Bupropion.
- This medication is a kind of antidepressant but it also works as a stimulant.
- Most physicians rely on Wellbutrin if ADHD patients do not respond well to stimulants.
- Physicians prescribe Wellbutrin, as compared to other common ADHD medications, for ADHD patients with high blood pressure or heart diseases.
- Wellbutrin is prescribed to ADHD patients when there is a problem with stimulant abuse or tolerance.
- Wellbutrin is found to be effective among children and adult suffering from ADHD.
How Does Wellbutrin Work For ADHD?
Unlike typical antidepressant drugs, Wellbutrin acts differently. Common antidepressants focus on controlling serotonin while Wellbutrin does not.
- It works well among people with ADHD because it targets two neurotransmitters – norepinephrine and dopamine. These two are vital to ADHD treatment.
- Wellbutrin specifically targets these neurotransmitters to help increase its levels. This drug works by slowing the neurotransmitters’ re-uptake process.
- It is known to positively affect the three major ADHD components, which are impulsivity, inattention and hyperactivity.
- Wellbutrin acts similarly with non-stimulant and stimulant treatments for ADHD. It acts by heightening the level of neurotransmitters in the brain.
- It helps treat ADHD by enhancing the patients’ impulse control, attention span, aggressiveness and hyperactivity.
- This drug is also effective in diminishing irritability of a person suffering from ADHD.
Side Effects Of Wellbutrin
Similar to other medications, taking Wellbutrin may have some side effects. The following are the most common:
- Weight loss.
- Poor appetite.
- Seizures and tremors.
- Dry mouth.
- Other unusual side effects among individuals taking Wellbutrin include strange ejaculations, hair color change, no erection and painful erection.
- In some cases, Wellbutrin may also increase suicide risk and heightened depression among ADHD patients.
- Issues of withdrawal are also found among ADHD patients using Wellbutrin.