Swelling in feet and ankles is not an uncommon problem. Many people sometime or the other may have experienced swollen foot. Usually it is not a serious condition, but if swelling persists regularly it needs medical evaluation. It can be quiet discomforting and unpleasant to see your foot swollen when you wake up in the morning. Often this swelling is accompanied with pain and redness over the area. There are host of reasons for swelling of feet in morning that range from improper sleeping position to more serious conditions such as kidney and liver disease.Let us know more about waking up with swollen feet.
Causes of Waking Up With Swollen Feet:
Swelling in feet and ankle primarily develop due to excess accumulation of fluid in the soft tissue. The fluid seeps out of the blood vessels and gets collected in the nearby tissue of feet and ankle. There are several causes that may cause feet swelling. It is common to notice foot swelling in daytime, but sometime you may also experience swelling in feet and ankle when you wake up in the morning. Here are few important reasons for it:
- Bad sleeping position: If you sleep in awkward position during night, you may wake up with swelling in feet and ankle. For example if you sleep in semi reclined position for a long period of time at night, you will find swollen feet when you wake up in morning.
- Arthritis: Arthritis is medical condition characterized by inflammation in joints. Swelling is usually accompanied with pain in joints. Many people suffering from arthritis experience swelling, pain and stiffness of ankle and feet along with other joint of the body. It is prominently observed in rheumatic arthritis.
- An insect bite at night can also cause swelling of feet. If the underlying cause is insect bite, it is usually accompanied with severe itching, burning and redness. You may notice a sting in the area of bite.
- One of the main functions of kidney is to remove excess of fluid from the body and to keep balance of electrolyte in the body. When the kidney is not functioning well, salt and fluid gets accumulated in the body. It increases pressure in the blood vessel. The intracellular fluid leaks out into the tissue space. Swelling in feet and ankle in morning is the initial sign of kidney problem.
- If you are dehydrated over a period of time, there is an imbalance in the electrolyte composition in the body. Body tries to retain water when you are chronically dehydrated. This causes swelling in joints.
- Pregnancy can cause swelling in feet. Excess of weight, pressure on blood vessel from expanding uterus size and rise of certain hormones that causes retention of fluid all can cause feet swelling in morning.
As mentioned earlier, swelling of feet in morning when you wake up is not something dangerous or life threatening. But the underlying cause needs to be evaluated and if necessary treated or corrected. In case of serious disease proper medical evaluation may be needed. Here are some useful tips to reduce swelling in feet.
- Reduce your salt intake.
- Sleep with your legs slightly elevated if you are experiencing swelling in early morning.
- Exercise regularly as it improves blood circulation.
- Wear compression socks during daytime if you have jobs of sitting or standing for long time. Compression socks are useful in preventing retention of fluid in legs as it pushes the fluid and blood towards heart.
- Regular foot massage is beneficial to reduce swelling in feet and ankle.
- If you are a smoker, the first thing that you need to do is to quit smoking. Smoking reduces blood flow in the arteries of lower extremities. This may lead to swelling in feet.
- Drink enough water and fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Magnesium deficiency is one of the reasons for swelling in leg. Eat foods that are rich in magnesium. Almonds, quinoa, peanuts, black beans, etc are rich source of magnesium.