Many of us may have heard or read about solar plexus. It is a complex network of autonomic nerves and arteries just located below the xiphoid process of breast bone and above the stomach. It is given much importance in spiritual healing therapy, where the solar plexus chakra is considered to control the functioning of many organs of abdomen, such as the liver, pancreas, kidneys, stomach, spleen and small intestine. Pain in the solar plexus area can be a reason of some disorder that may be under its control.
Solar plexus is also called celiac plexus.
According to ancient therapies, solar plexus in considered to be the third chakra which deals with mental and emotional health of a person.
However, certain mental attitudes and emotions can imbalance the power of solar chakra such as lack of self esteem, worry, anger, hatred, anxiety and fear etc. When prevalent for prolonged period of time, they can lead to many health problems such as diabetes, pancreatitis, gallstones, liver problems, indigestion etc. These organs are controlled by solar chakra.
Causes Pain In The Solar Plexus Area
Solar plexus is a complex of nerves. It is a junction of several incoming and outgoing nerves to different organs of digestive as well as nervous system. Since there are many nerves associated with different organs, the exact cause of pain in solar plexus becomes difficult to detect. However, some of the causes that are known to cause pain in solar plexus are:
- Blow or injury at the location of solar plexus.
- Excessive mental or physical stress.
- Pulled abdominal muscle.
- Cancer of head of pancreas.
- Ulcer of stomach
- Acid reflux
- Metastatic cancer
- Blow on stomach
How To Relieve Pain In The Solar Plexus?
Solar plexus is formed of several nerves; therefore it is appropriate to find the exact cause which may be responsible for the pain. Several medical tests and investigations will be useful for determining the exact cause.
Radiological tests such as MRI, sonogram, CT scan, X-ray Barium meal, and blood tests are useful. Your medical practitioner will help to find the precise cause after taking into consideration the result of physical examination, medical history and different tests.
However, there are several steps to manage pain for a meantime till you consult your doctor.
- Avoid taking any pain killers and NSAID’s medications to relieve pain. This may aggravate the problem if the underlying cause is stomach or duodenal ulcer.
- You can take some antacid if you suspect the cause to be reflux acid. It helps to alleviate pain for time being till you consult your physician.
- Apply hot water fomentation alternating with cold water if the problem is caused due to pulled or strained abdominal muscle.
- Add few drops of chamomile oil on a cloth and place it on the area of pain over the abdomen. Cover it with a blanket so that the area remains warm.
- One of the effective ways to relieve solar plexus pain is to keep your hand over the painful area and chant loudly for few minutes. Deep breathing in a quiet place is also useful for alleviating the condition.