Cymbalta is a trade name for the generic drug Duloxetine hydrochloride. It is manufactured by Eli Lilly Company. Cymbalta is a prescription drug, mainly used for major depressive disorders, diabetic neuropathy, stress urinary incontinence, fibromyalgia, chronic backache or chronic pain due to arthritis. Before knowing the side effects, let us know how Cymbalta functions.
The drug Cymbalta is considered to be SNRI class of drug. SNRI is a short form for serotonin –norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. This class of drug has its action on brain chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine. These two chemicals are responsible for smooth transition of messages from one brain cell to another.
Imbalance of serotonin or norepinephrine in the brain causes depression, anxiety disorders. Cymbalta helps in smooth functioning of these two chemicals and ensures that each nerve cell gets the necessary chemical for smooth functioning. Thus it helps to reduce depression and anxiety.
Its action for relieving chronic pain is not well understood, but probably experts believe, the drug blocks the pain signals in the brain and spinal cord.
Side Effects Of Cymbalta (Duloxetine Hcl)
Every drug has good effects and side effects and the same is true with Cymbalta. However, it is not necessary for everyone to experience Cymbalta side effects; there may be few individuals who may experience it.Further the side effects may be minor and require no treatment in most cases.
Severe side effects when occur are usually treated well by the physician. Most common side effects experienced by patients taking Cymbalta include:
- Dryness in mouth.
- Pain in abdomen.
- Fatigue, weakness.
- Weight changes.
- Palpitation, hot flushes.
- Insomnia, abnormal dreams, headache,
- Tremor, nervousness, loss of appetite.
- Loss of libido.
- Visual disturbances.
- Sweating, itching all over body.
- Gastritis and heartburn.
- Bruxism (involuntary clenching of teeth).
- Postural low blood pressure.
- Rise in cholesterol level.
- Disturbance in taste.
- Close angle glaucoma.
- Irregular heartbeats and chest pain.
- Suicidal behavior.
Cymbalta Side Effects In Women
- Many women may experience decreased libido or loss of interest in sexual intercourse or decreased sex drive after taking Cymbalta. However, this may not last long, and most women overcome this side effect after few days.
- Some women may experience night time sweats and palpitation. Drowsiness in morning and decrease in appetite are also common problem faced by women who take Cymbalta. Due to low intake of food, there may be loss of weight.
- Constipation is another side effect often felt in women taking Cymbalta medication. Abnormal secretion of milk from breast is also noted in some women.
- In pregnancy Cymbalta may be avoided, however it will depend on the prescribing doctor who is a better judge to know whether the benefit outweighs the possible risk to the unborn child.
Sexual Side Effects Of Cymbalta In Men
Cymbalta is known to cause decreased sexual drive in males. In clinical studies it was revealed that this side effect occurred in 4 percent of males who were taking the drug. The person finds difficulty in ejaculation, almost 3 percent of males complained of failure to achieve orgasm. There is delayed ejaculation or the person is unable to ejaculate.
Skin problems include itching, rash, easy bruising. Though respiratory symptoms in males are not common they may be mild cough and throat pain.
Heart burn, diarrhea and constipation are other side effects seen in males when they take the medicine orally in the initial few days.