People often panic and get embarrassed, when they bleed while pooping (pass stools). Even though a common problem, seeing blood in stool or while passing stool makes a person apprehensive, and the first thought that arises in his mind is whether the symptom is related to colon cancer.
Though colon cancer is one of the causes for bleeding while pooping, it is not as frequent as other causes are. However, if you find blood in your stool or traces of bleeding in the rectal area while passing stools, or after defecation, the first thing you have to do is to fix an appointment with your doctor.While you are waiting for your appointment, you can educate yourself reading the different causes of bleeding while passing stool. It will also relieve your anxiety.
Causes Of Bleeding With Bowel Movement
Here are the possible causes of bleeding while pooping:
- Hemorrhoid also known as piles is a familiar disorder, and usually not a serious one. The anus is made up of blood vessels, connective tissue and muscles. A hemorrhoid is an inflammation or enlargement of the vein in this tissue caused due to excess pressure in the abdomen or in the anal region. Painless rectal bleeding while pooping is a common symptom of hemorrhoid. Bright red blood on the toilet bowl after a bowel movement or stains on the toilet paper is a common symptom of piles.
- Anal fissure: anal fissure is an ulcer or a tear in the lining of the anal canal. Anus is the opening from where the feces are voided out. Anal fissure usually results due to constipation and passage of hard stools very often. Anal fissure can be present with piles. The characteristic of anal fissure is extreme pain in the anus while passing stool and streak of blood on the stool.
- Colitis: inflammation of colon can give rise to bleeding while passing stool.
- Other condition which needs a mention is colorectal cancer: colorectal cancer is the cancer of last part of the intestine called rectum. Blood while passing stool is the symptom of colorectal cancer. But together with it there are associated symptoms such as weight loss, extreme fatigue, abdominal discomfort, and persistent change in bowel habits.
- Bacterial dysentery: it is a bacterial infection resulting into bleeding while pooping. There is lot of mucus and blood along with stool in bacterial dysentery. Abdominal pain and fever are other symptoms of bacterial dysentery.
Symptoms Of Bleeding While Pooping
The symptoms of bleeding while pooping will differ from one underlying condition to another.
Hemorrhoids: bright red blood on the toilet paper.
- Drops of bright red blood on the bowl when passing stool.
- Color of the blood is bright red.
- There may be a hard lump on the edge or just outside of the anus.
- Pain in the anus while passing stool.
- Itching in the anal area.
- Extreme pain while passing stool.
- Pain persists for some time after passing stool.
- Blood streaked stool. It is the characteristic of anal fissure.
- Hard stools.
- Itching around the anus.
- Blood in the stool.
- Colicky pain in the abdomen.
- Decreased eating or anorexia.
- Bleeding while pooping. The blood may be red, black or tarry in texture.
- Weight loss.
- Pain and difficulty while passing stool.
- Lower abdominal pain.