Albizia julibrissin is a deciduous tree that has been valued highly for centuries in Chinese medicine for various health benefits. Also known as Persian silk tree or pink siri or Mimosa, this tree is a valuable gift of nature for relieving anxiety, stress, and depression besides its various other health benefits. No doubt many people also refer it as ‘Happiness Tree’. Albizia julibrissin is a native of Persia, Japan and china. Now the tree is grown in many parts of world, especially in temperate climates. This tree grows to the height of almost 16 to 50 feet.It has bipinnate leaves which are long and broad. The flowers bloom during summer and appear as pink silky threads. The bark of albizia julibrissin is dark green and grey in color. The flowers look very beautiful as they bloom hence the tree is considered to be an ornamental plant. Often you can find the tree on streets of California and Texas states.
Health Benefits of Albizia Julibrissin
Albizia julibrissin tree is grown in many parts of world as an ornamental plant because of its silk like flowers. It also provides shade. Almost all the parts of plant are beneficial for some health problem.Mainly the flower, leaves and bark of the tree are used for medicinal purposes. The young leaves or the bark or the flower can be used in the tea form or can be used as dried powder. Albizia julibrissin contain high amount of saponins, polyphenol, and triterpenoids, quercetin, isoquercetin, etc. The medicine prepared from the tree can be ingested as well as it can be applied topically. Decoction when used internally must be administered carefully as it is highly potent. Let us know the health benefits of albizia julibrissin.
- Alleviates depression, anxiety and stress: Albizia julibrissin is also called happiness tree because it alleviates depression and decreases anxiety. It brings about peace and calm in the patients mind. The ingredients present in parts of tree such as flower, bark, and leaves can have impact on the nervous system of the body. They are used as calming sedative in Chinese medicine.
- Insomnia: If you are suffering from sleeplessness at night, a tea prepared from mimosa flowers is beneficial to get sound sleep. The mild sedative properties as well as its soothing action on nerves and mind can be of great help for a sound sleep if stress and anxiety robs away your sleep.
- Asthma: People suffering from asthma and other inflammatory respiratory diseases such as sinusitis and bronchitis feel better by consuming this medicinal herb. Its anti inflammatory action and helps to reduce inflammation in the respiratory tract. Also the antibacterial action is beneficial for eliminating sinus infection.
- Chronic illnesses: Wide range of antioxidants present in the herb helps to scavenge the free radicals and hence is beneficial in chronic diseases of heart and even in cancer.
- Skin diseases: The anti-inflammatory properties and anti oxidant properties are beneficial in inflammatory skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, skin itching, rashes etc. Apply the tincture as a local application.
- Cholesterol regulation: The organic compounds present in albizia plant helps to lower cholesterol and thus it is beneficial for people suffering from atherosclerosis and high cholesterol level in blood.
- Arthritis pain: The anti-inflammatory property of albizia alleviates painful joints. Apply paste prepared from bark of the plant over the painful joint in case of gout and arthritis.
The parts of plant albezia can be used in the form of dried powder or tea or tincture. To prepare tea, take few dried pieces of bark or flower put it in a bowl of warm water. Now boil the water and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Once the liquid cools down, strain it and drink one cup of prepared tea. The powder can be used in capsule form. Powder can be used for local application over skin in the form of paste. You can prepare paste by mixing small amount of water with albezia powder.