Every human being desires to look attractive. To remain beautiful and youthful people have found many ways. Abdominoplasty is one such cosmetic surgical procedure that makes a person’s abdomen thin, firm and flat. Abdominoplasty is a plastic surgery in which excess of skin as well as fat is removed from the mid and lower part of abdomen and the abdominal muscles are tightened. The procedure is also called tummy tuck. This surgery procedure can change the appearance of your stomach dramatically. Often this body contouring procedure is requested by people who have loose and saggy abdominal skin and tissue after massive weight loss or after pregnancy.Abdominoplasty is a major surgical procedure and it must be thought as the last resort when all other possible measures fail to tighten the skin and loss of fat.
Suitable Candidates for Abdominoplasty
Many people strive for flat and well toned abdomen. They may be able to attain their goal by following regular exercise and weight control measures. However, sometimes even after following these methods they are not able to achieve their goal. Even some people who have normal physique and toned body may have loose, saggy and protruding abdomen. This is more possible among women after multiple pregnancies, severe fluctuation in weight, as a hereditary factor, aging etc.In any case abdominoplasty a person must not presume tummy tuck is an easy alternative to exercise or weight loss program. Tummy tuck has its own side effects. So it is necessary to know who is suitable for abdominoplasty. Women as well as men both can undergo tummy tuck procedure. It is a good choice for people who are having;
- Good physical and mental health.
- A non smoker person.
- Woman who has finished her child bearing and now she wants to tighten the abdominal skin and muscles that are saggy and protruding.
- A person who has lost weight considerably and still has fat deposits in abdominal area with loose skin.
Risk Factors for Tummy Tuck
As with any other surgery, abdominoplasty too has several risks. This surgery is personal choice where the person concerned has to make the decision to undergo the knife. Person first has to be aware of his goals and the benefits that he may achieve and the complications that he may have to experience after the surgery. Here are some of the risk factors that a person must know. Some of them are common with any surgery; let us begin with them first:
- Complications arising from anesthesia.
- Poor wound heeling
- The sensation of skin may change, there may be numb feeling
- Long scars on abdomen
- Frequent loosening of skin
- Aesthetic results may not be achieved fully.
- Chances of repeated surgery
- Keloid formation
- Rupture of sutures
Besides the above risk factors of surgery, person undergoing this procedure must know following things:
- Woman should postpone tummy tuck procedure if she is planning to have baby. She must only consider it when she no longer needs to become pregnant. There is risk of hernia if she remains pregnant after surgery.
- Prefer to do the surgery when your weight has stabilized and you have no intention of loosing or gaining weight. The results after surgery are not goof if there is weight fluctuation.