A good yawn is always a delight to feel sometimes, however there is certainly something amiss when somebody is yawning too much. Yawning too much can be interpreted wrongly as a sign of either tiredness or boredom.
If a person finds himself yawning at the wrong place and at the wrong time, it can be offensive towards other people in the same room. But can there be another reason behind excessive yawning? Yawning too often is a sign where a person may suffer from heart palpitations, dizziness, and even nausea.
What Causes Too Much Yawning?
Generally, too much yawning is no reason for alarm.However, there are some factors that can bring about frequent yawning.
- Too much yawning can occur alongside other symptoms such as dizziness, nausea or heart palpitations.
- Probable medical causes may include encephalitis, multiple sclerosis or epilepsy, which are associated with a nerve malfunction that causes blood pressure and heart rate to drop.
- One of the most common reasons is the decreasing levels of oxygen in the bloodstream; yawning can pump more oxygen into the lungs and reinforce the flow of blood.
- Yawning too often is also attributed to the work of mirror neurons that trigger the action of imitating another yawning person.
- Certain chemicals in the brain can affect the emotional balance of the person that when stimulated, may cause yawning.
Remedies For Excessive Yawning
- As yawning is a sure sign of sleepiness, the best remedy is drinking a glass of water. The person may be suffering from fatigue and replenishing the water supply of the body can alleviate lethargy and recharge the body systems.
- With the lungs demanding more oxygen through yawning, it is recommended to take a walk outdoors to breathe in the fresh air. It can help increase the flow of oxygen into the brain and the whole body.
- Avoid stress or situations that can be tiresome for one’s health. Try to get the ideal amount of sleep and learn to breathe properly to ensure the right supply of oxygen in the lungs.
Although yawning is an involuntary reaction done by a person who has his or her reasons for yawning, it is common knowledge that there are proper places to elicit that stifled yawn.
- Try to hide a yawn whenever in public especially when there is a person speaking in front
- If there is a huge need to yawn, it is best to go to a secluded area and yawn
- If yawning is excessive, it is best to consult a doctor. Be it due to fatigue, stress, or some condition, at least a doctor would be well advised as to the condition that may be causing the excessive yawning.