Poor circulation of blood can occur in any part of the body, it is often seen in lower legs. Poor circulation in the leg can be due to unhealthy lifestyle, diseases and nutritional deficiencies.
Poor Circulation In Legs
Blood circulates through the arteries and the veins. The arteries supply pure or oxygenated blood to the tissues and cells, while the venous system brings back the blood from tissues to the heart for oxygenation. Problems in the artery or the vein can cause poor circulation in legs. Aged individuals are more vulnerable for poor circulation in legs.
Causes Of Poor Leg Circulation
Peripheral artery disease is the main cause for poor circulation in leg. PVD results when there is a buildup of plaque on the inner wall of the arteries. A plaque is a fatty substance which is formed when there is excess of cholesterol circulating in the blood for a long time, it is called atherosclerosis. The arteries get hardened and loose its elasticity, the blood does not flow efficiently giving rise to poor circulation of blood in the leg. Smokers are at a greater risk of developing PVD.
Poor Blood Circulation Causes
The other causes are:
- Varicose veins.
- High blood pressure.
- Cigarette smoking.
- Cardiovascular insufficiency.
- High cholesterol level.
- Chronic kidney disease.
Circulation Problems In Legs Symptoms
- Cramps in the leg.
- Cramps in the leg at night time during sleep.
- Non healing ulcers on the leg.
- Cold feet.
- Discoloration and dark pigmentation spots on the skin, near the ankle in case of varicose veins.
- Swelling of feet.
- Pedal artery is not palpable; this is the important sign doctors look for when they suspect poor circulation in feet.
- Sensation may diminish.
To get an accurate diagnosis for poor circulation in the leg, doctors recommend Doppler ultrasound or angiography of the arteries.
Treatment For Poor Blood Circulation
Treatment of poor circulation in leg will differ from person to person, and as per the severity.
In mild cases, the patient may be advised to change his life style, inculcate exercise and healthy food habits. Stop smoking completely, eat fruits and vegetables containing vitamins, eat fish and fish oil containing omega 3 fatty acids to reduce cholesterol and elevate legs while sleeping.
- In case of varicose veins use compression stockings.
- Reduce your weight if you are overweight.
- Garlic is renowned remedy for poor circulation, it reduces cholesterol, stimulates circulatory system.
- Aneurism may require surgery.