Among all the endocrinal glands, pineal gland is considered to be a mysterious gland. This tiny pea sized gland is situated in the center of the human brain. In olden days, philosophers believed it to be a third eye, a seat of human soul. However, lately researchers are beginning to understand a little bit of its function.
It is been considered to play a link between the endocrinal system and the neurological system. Melatonin is a major hormone produced by pineal gland. It is the hormone which controls the circadian rhythm of sleep and wake cycle.The gland is also involved in sexual maturity during adolescence years. Pineal gland is so named as its shape is like a pine cone. Pineal gland calcification can hamper its function to an extent. The production of melatonin can get affected and patient may suffer from sleep problems. Calcification of pineal gland can also take its toll on human sexual functions as well its development. Considering its importance let us know what causes pineal gland calcification.
Causes of Pineal Gland Calcification
Often calcified pineal gland is detected on X-ray of skull or during MRI of brain.Many people over the age of 50 years may have calcified pineal glands. Several factors have been suspected to cause pineal gland calcification. Calcification occurs when there is excess formation of calcium around the organ. Excess amount of fluoride in water is considered to be one of the causes for calcification of pineal gland.
A link has been established between excess of fluoride in the body and calcification of the tiny pineal gland. The excess of fluoride ions and calcium ions mix together and form a layer over the pineal gland. As time passes, this layer becomes calcified and prevents proper functioning of pineal gland.Therefore as a person ages, there are more chances of pineal gland getting calcified as compared to the young adult and child.
People who eat more of unrefined food have less chances of pineal calcification. This means those who eat more of refined food, live under lot of stress that can trigger epinephrine output. More of epinephrine will cause increase in melatonin and if it becomes chronic, then calcification is a possibility. Also people who do more of outdoor work in sunlight have less risk of pineal gland calcification.
Studies have revealed that people with Alzheimer’s disease have greater degree of calcification of pineal gland than those suffering from other forms of dementias.
Pineal Gland Calcification Symptoms
- Calcification of pineal gland can curtail its proper function. The melatonin hormone that it produces can get affected. As a result, patient may find sleep related problems.
- Problem in sexual development especially in the adolescence years, menstrual problems, soreness in breast during the developmental stage of adulthood are few problems faced by a person who has calcified pineal gland in the brain.
- There is an excessive craving of alcohol.
- Due to low production of melatonin, the patient may be deprived of normal sleep. It can affect day to day activities. Patient may feel tired and his general health may get deteriorated. He feels more depressed all the time.
Pineal Gland Calcification Cure
Before finding ways for decalcification of pineal gland, it is better to prevent its occurrence in the first place.
- Keep a regular fixed time for sleeping. Early to bed and early to rise is a good habit.
- It is necessary to stay in sunlight for a good amount of time.
- Eat foods that are high in lecithin. It helps to produce melatonin.
- Avoid the use of too much fluoride content in your diet.
- Avoid too much of calcium supplements.
- Increase your physical activity as it will boost the production of melatonin.
- Ensure that you do regular stress relieving exercises. Yoga and meditation are good stress reducing exercise.
- Eat citric food and garlic. Both are natural cures for calcification in any part including the pineal gland.
- Ratfish and skatefish oil is known to gradually cure calcification of pineal gland.