Kidney lesions are the abnormality found in the kidney tissue. This abnormality can be in the form of a growth in the kidney or an abnormal tissue growth on the kidney.
It can be a scar or it can be an infection of the kidney. Certain diseases, which in medical terms are known as glomerulonephritis, and nephrosis also come under kidney lesions.
Kidney lesion can be a worrisome issue, however it depends on the cause, location and the how far the kidney is affected. There are people who are unaware of being suffering from kidney lesion, because they are asymptomatic.
Causes Of Kidney Lesions
Their lesions are detected accidentally while doing investigation for other causes. While others may develop kidney lesion symptoms such as blood in the urine, back pain, pain in the renal region or impairment of renal function as it occurs in nephrosis.
There are number of causes for kidney lesion. Lesion is an injury to the organ tissue. Here the organ is kidney and the injury is on the tissue of the kidney either internally or externally. These lesions can be benign or malignant. Malignant lesions are cancerous while benign lesions are non cancerous, however benign lesions can make things worse if not taken care of in some cases.
- Glomerulonephritis can damage the kidney.
- Disease of renal vessels: renal infarction, renal vein thrombosis.
- Inflammation of kidneys called nephritis.
- Tumors: cancerous and non cancerous.
- Kidney stone.
- Renal trauma.
- Tuberculosis of kidney.
- Collagen disease.
- Certain modern medicines.
- Uncontrolled hypertension.
- Multiple kidney lesions are common in malignancy.
All this conditions to a certain extent damage the kidney tissue and its function. In some the damage is reversible while in others the damage is permanent. Scarring of kidney can result due to inflammation of the kidney, infection, or it can also be due to surgery.
Lesions On Kidney Symptoms
Most of the time kidney lesions are diagnosed by the symptoms it produces, red urine or blood in the urine is the frequently encountered symptom that alarms the patient.
The physician evaluates the symptoms and advises for various investigations. Urine examination, sonography of the kidney and more advanced imaging techniques such as MRI are used to confirm the diagnosis.
In certain difficult cases kidney biopsy is done to identify the cause of the lesion. Before charting out the treatment plan it is important to know what the reason for kidney lesion is. In some cases only observation and repeated follow up with the investigation is needed, while in others curative treatment has to begin.
Treatment For Kidney Lesions
The treatment of the kidney lesions may vary, it will depend on the causative factor.
The physician will decide whether the person needs conservative line of treatment or more invasive procedures such as surgery. In malignancy he may require chemotherapy or radiation as the doctor suggests. Hemodialysis may be necessary if the kidney is not functioning.
In addition to the above mode of treatment, certain home remedies and natural cures are valuable for kidney lesions.
- The herb Hoelen is useful to stop the kidney lesion. It is said to be an immune suppressant.
- Marshmellow root tea is another home remedy that helps to cleanse the kidneys.
- Cut down intake of meat, poultry and fish as they are known to increase the uric acid that forms the kidney stone.
- Water melon is the best diuretic and helps to increase the urine outflow. You can drink the juice or simply eat sliced watermelon.
- Uva ursi is an anti inflammatory and antibacterial for kidney. It prevents bleeding if the kidney disease is mild.