Moles are brown or black growths on the skin, which you usually notice on your face and other parts of the body. Medically they are also known as “nevi”. They grow in single or in clusters. Their size can vary from person to person; they can be smooth and flat or have a rough surface. Sometimes you can notice hair sprouting from the moles. Mole grows between 10 to 40 years, but they can be also be congenital.
Moles develop when the skin pigments cells called melanocytes grow in cluster at a certain point instead of getting evenly distributed.Melanin is the pigment which gives natural color to our skin. These pigments are produced by skin cells called melanocytes. The cells are present in the epidermis and the dermis layer of the skin. Melanin is then transported evenly to the upper layer of the skin cells. For some reason melanocytes get together and form a cluster, which is concentrated with melanin pigment to form a mole.
It is still not clear why moles develop. Most of the time moles are harmless, except for certain types where they can become cancerous.
Mole can occur during the period of hormonal changes such as puberty or during pregnancy.There can be change in color, or increase in size of the existing moles during this period.
Heredity is another cause for moles. Children born to parents having moles are more prone to have moles.
Frequent exposure to sunlight for a longer duration can be a reason for moles especially in persons having fair skin.
Home Remedies for Moles
Though moles are harmless, there are people who want to remove it, and there are various methods available. Removing moles naturally is the best method amongst all.
- Coriander: grind coriander leaves and make a paste. Apply it on the moles. Apply it daily till the moles are removed. This is the best natural method of removing moles without scarring.
- Mix few drops of flaxseed oil and raw honey. Apply it regularly on the mole to remove it permanently without any scar formation.
- Pineapple is known to lighten the mole within few days when you apply its slice twice or thrice in a day for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Take ten to twenty drops of castor oil, mix one gram of baking soda and make fine paste. Apply the paste on the moles at night and leave to dry. Next morning wash the area; repeat the procedure for few days to remove moles naturally.
- Regular massage of castor oil over the moles will make the moles disappear very soon.
- Tea tree oil is also considered as a natural remedy for removing mole. Apply it one in a day for a week; the moles disappear after some time.
- Apple cider vinegar is a natural home remedy for removing mole. Clean the area with warm water, now dab vinegar with cotton ball and let the area get dry for few minutes. Again wash the area with plain water.