Folate, folic acid and folacin are the terms for the vitamin B-complex that is known for its vital role in pregnancy. This drug is important to avoid pregnancy defects such as malformation of the neural tube. Spinal problem and serious brain damage could be a result of a malformed neural tube. This vitamin has three components namely:
- Glutamic acid
Before taking folate, patients should approach a physician so that the tolerable upper intake level of folate will be determined properly. Folate intake should not exceed the recommended dosage. Studies have shown that folate intake of doses greater than 1,000-2,000 µg could cause folate toxicity.
Folate Poisoning Symptoms
Folate toxicity is not common since folic acid is soluble in water it could be easily excreted through urination. Over dose of folic acid will give the person mostly the same symptoms that could be experienced by the person having an insufficiency of it. Several symptoms of folate toxicity include:
- Nervous system disorders
- Gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea
- Abdominal problems
- Sleep problems such as insomnia.
- Skin reactions
- Reduce effectiveness of anticancer drug (methotrexate), anticonvulsant drugs, barbiturates, estrogen, zinc, sulfasalazine, antimalarial treatments
- Affects the absorption of vitamin B12
It would be best to prevent folate side effects because the sign and symptoms that could be caused by it would require medications that may be harmful to the pregnant mother and the fetus.
Treatment for Folate Toxicity
Treatment for side effects of folate toxicity will depend on what the symptom the person has. For example:
- If the person is suffering insomnia due to folic toxicity then the person will be given medication that will allow him or her to sleep better.
- If the person has diarrhea then he will take a medication for diarrhea.
- In case of folic acid poisoning, one must immediately approach a doctor so that the symptoms could be treated in a way that the baby and the pregnant mother would not be harmed by the medication or drug.