When you cough, it is a reflex action by the body to expel the accumulated secretions out of the lungs and the respiratory tract. It is a protective mechanism, where the accumulated mucus from the bronchi or the foreign body in the air passage is thrown out after you inspire deeply.
Constant wheezing cough is serious condition which is commonly associated with asthma, bronchitis and Eosinophilia. A wheeze is a conspicuous symptom of obstructive airway disease, particularly bronchial asthma. It is a musical sound heard best during expiration, with or without a stethoscope.
Causes Of Cough And Wheezing
There are several causes for constant wheezing and coughing.
- Bronchial asthma.
- Acute and chronic bronchitis.
- Tropical Eosinophilia.
- Cigarette smoking and exposure to irritant gases.
- Bronchogenic carcinoma.
- Pressure from bronchi and trachea (wind pipe) from outside.
- Foreign body inhalation.
- Cystic fibrosis.
- Acute and chronic infection of wind pipe or the food pipe.
- Pulmonary edema.
- Aneurism of aorta pressing on trachea.
- Mitral valve stenosis leading to congestion in the lungs.
- Enlarged lymph nodes in the lung due to malignancy.
- Long term use of drugs such as ACE inhibitors.
- Wax in the ear which irritates the nerve supplying the ear canal can cause constant wheezing and coughing.
- Idiopathic cough often associated with habit spasm and there is no underlying organic cause detected.
- Post nasal drip and sinusitis.
Treatment For Constant Wheezing Cough
Primary investigations such as complete blood count, ESR, X-ray chest can help to diagnose the disease. In some difficult conditions MRI and bronchoscopy may be required.
Some of the home remedies to stop wheezing cough besides medication are;
- Avoid smoking, dust, pollen, chemical, fumes and irritant gases etc.
- Mix cloves in a glass of warm water and sip it as often as you can.
- Garlic is beneficial in constant wheezing cough. Take one clove with water in the morning. You can crush garlic and extract garlic juice half to one teaspoon and mix it with 1 tsp of honey. Take twice in a day. Garlic dilates the bronchi and helps to expel the congested mucus. It is often used in bronchitis and asthma.
- Take a piece of jaggery and mix it with mustard oil, consume it once in a day.
- Cherry bark, nettles act effectively in relieving constant wheezing cough.
- Steam inhalation helps to liquefy the hard mucus and makes it easy to expel it out.
Constant Cough And Wheezing Complications
Complication of constant wheezing cough include:
- Cough syncope: it is a condition often observed in males with chronic bronchitis having constant wheezing cough. The patient momentarily becomes unconscious after coughing. It occurs when the pressure in thorax has increased during coughing. It interferes with the return of the blood from the veins to the heart and thus reduces cardiac output.
- Cough fracture, fracture of ribs due to cough suggest multiple myeloma, or metastasis.
- Pneumothorax: rupture of certain part of the lung tissue due to raised pressure in the thorax.