Appendectomy is a surgical procedure of removing the inflamed appendix, which it is situated at the junction of the small and the large intestine. Appendix is usually located in the right iliac fossa of the abdomen.
Appendix is a finger like structure made of lymphoid tissue, it is considered as rudimentary structure.
Appendectomy is indicated when there is acute inflammation and infection of appendix; it is an emergency surgical event as there is risk of rupture and peritonitis. Chronic appendicitis can be a planned operation.
Appendectomy operation can be performed by open or laparoscopic surgery.Complications for both the procedure are equal.
As with all the operations, appendectomy also carries risk and complications. But with newer techniques and in a competent hand, complications can be minimal during the surgery and post surgery.
Surgical complications can be:
- Infection of the incision.
- Infection in the abdomen called peritonitis if the appendix is ruptured prior to surgery.
- Abdominal scars.
- Perforation of intestine or the ureter.
- Severing the nerve.
- Premature labor if the female is pregnant.
- Complication of anesthesia such as vomiting, aspiration pneumonia, respiratory failure etc.
Recovery Period For Appendectomy
- If there is no complication, the recovery time period is 7 days to 10 days.
- Full recovery takes 4 to 6 weeks. It will depend from patient to patient.
Appendectomy Surgery Cost
- In an uncomplicated appendectomy surgery, the estimated cost in united state is $20,000 or $30,000.
- The cost will depend on the doctor fees, hospital standard, and geographic location.
Post Appendectomy Care
- After the operation the patient is kept nil by mouth for a day or two. It gives rest to the intestine and the time to heal the wound.
- After examination, on the next day the doctor will suggest liquid diet at first, and then semisolid diet later on.
- The patient is asked to walk from the next day. Work and physical exertion is restricted for 3 weeks till the patient is normal.