Hypertension, commonly referred as high blood pressure, is a condition in which the pressure at which the blood flows in the body is chronically elevated, beyond normal. It can be classified as either essential or secondary. High blood pressure increases the risk of heart attack, stroke, eye disease, kidney disease etc.
It is not only on the medicines, a hypertensive person should rely on. He should also find ways to lower blood pressure naturally. And it is possible to lower it if he follows proper lifestyle, food habits and curtails stress levels.
How To Lower High Blood Pressure Naturally?
Some of the ways to lower high blood pressure at home are simple and effective. Let us know it.
- Reduce body weight: Power walking is an important aspect for reducing weight. A brisk walk for 30 minutes regularly increases oxygen utilization, which is beneficial for the heart. It also burns the excess of fats which causes atherosclerosis of the arteries.
- Yoga and meditation helps to maintain low blood pressure and that too without medication if practiced early in life. This is of special importance if you have a family history of hypertension.
- Foods rich in potassium such as banana, potatoes, tomatoes, cantaloupe etc, help to lower blood pressure. It is helpful in maintaining good elasticity of the arteries.
- Eat less of salt, as increase in salt concentration makes the kidney to work fast to remove the excess of salt. Thus blood flows at a speed higher than the normal. This in turn increases the blood pressure.
- Quit smoking if you want to control your blood pressure.
- Skimmed milk, low fat cheese, dark chocolates are known to control blood pressure level.
- Eating raw garlic, which is found in every house, is a natural way to lower blood pressure.
- Herbal teas contain pytochemicals, they are believed to lower blood pressure considerably, if consumed regularly.