Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. It is also called as sunshine vitamin for its ability to get synthesized in the skin naturally by exposure to sunlight. Vitamin D is also available in foods we eat, among them milk and other dairy products are rich sources of vitamin D. Fish oil is also rich in vitamin D.
Does Vitamin D Deficiency Cause Weight Gain?
- In a recent study, it has been documented that people having vitamin D deficiency are prone to weight gain and have short stature.
- The study showed that women and young girls having vitamin D deficiency in their pubertal age and growing years had increase in body mass and short stature.
- While vitamin D deficiency is known to cause osteoporosis, obesity and muscle pain in adults. It has come to light recently about gain in weight in young girls.
- The study conducted on Caucasian and Hispanic girls having vitamin D deficiency were found to be shorter than the average height of their peers.
- Further investigation is needed whether Vitamin D causes accumulation of fat in the abdominal region, and whether supplementation of D vitamin will benefit young people’s health.
Can Vitamin D Deficiency Cause Fatigue?
There are host of symptoms you will come across when you are suffering from vitamin D deficiency and among them, chronic fatigue is one such symptom.
- You may feel tired all the time.
- You may feel sleepy the whole day even if you had a sound sleep at night.
- When you have less exposure to sun you feel exhausted.
- When your kidney is not working properly, Vitamin D cannot be absorbed properly.
- If your GI tract is unable to absorb vitamin D from the digested food, it causes Vitamin D deficiency leading to fatigue.
- When Vitamin D is insufficient, the body absorbs it from the bones. It saps your energy. This leads to fatigue.
- Several researches have linked Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to Vitamin D deficiency.
Other Symptoms Of Vitamin D deficiency
- Muscular pains
- Stunted growth
- Teething problems
- Headache and muscle pain are usually accompanied with extreme fatigue.
- Vitamin D deficiency can result into hair loss. Its deficiency may cause alopecia areata, flaky scalp, and autoimmune disease such as psoriasis of the scalp.
- Vitamin D deficiency also causes depression. Depression is associated with heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, rheumatoid disease, low bone mineral density. Vitamin D has a significant role in these diseases. Depression in last century has increased due to lack of exposure to sunlight. Industrialization and urbanization has prevented people to stay more indoors. All this factors contribute to lack of circulating vitamin D in the body.
Treatment For Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D is useful in absorption of calcium. Calcium helps to keep your bones strong and healthy.
If vitamin D is deficient in a person and he is obese, he can have a significant weight reduction by correcting vitamin D deficiency.
- Sufficient exposure to sunlight during morning hours. You should avoid afternoon sun rays.
- Eat a healthy diet that is rich in vitamin D such as milk and milk products, eggs, fish and fish oils.
- Take supplements of vitamin D in consultation with your doctor.