To answer your question “why is my stomach protruding out,” it would help to know the various causes of the condition. Swelling of one’s abdomen, also referred to as distention, is more commonly the result of overeating that by a serious disease or illness.
Causes of Protruding Stomach
- Cyst in the ovaries
- Fluid buildup in one’s abdomen (which can be symptom of a serious medical disorder)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Lactose intolerance
- Partial blockage in the bowel
- Premenstrual syndromes
- Swallowing too much air as a nervous habit
- The presence of gas in one’s intestines as a result of eating food rich in fiber like vegetables and fruits
- Uterine fibroids
- Weight gain
Tips for Protruding Stomach Treatment
Getting a protruding and swollen stomach due to eating a heavy meal can be remedied when the food has been properly digested.To prevent this, eating in moderation definitely helps.
But for a protruding tummy due to swallowing too much air, treatment can be done by:
- Avoiding having too much carbonated beverages
- Avoiding sucking on candies or chewing gum
- Avoiding sipping the surface of hot beverages or drinking with a straw
- Eating slowly and chewing food properly
For a swollen abdomen due to malabsorption, a change in one’s diet should be applied and the intake of milk must be limited.
For those caused by an irritable bowel syndrome, the condition can be remedied by:
- Keeping oneself stress free
- Increasing the intake of fiber in one’s diet
- Talking to the doctor for a more detailed treatment depending on the cause of the condition.