Lymph node cancer in medical term is called Hodgkin’s disease. It is a type of lymphoma. A lymphoma is type of cancer formed in lymphatic system.
Lymph Node Cancer
Lymphatic system is made up of tiny vessels which drain the fluid from the tissues and muscles into the blood stream. There are small nodes present at an interval, all along the lymphatic system. They are in clusters. The presence of these lymph nodes can be felt under the skin in groin, in armpit and neck.
These nodes swell when there is infection.
Lymph node cancer is of two varieties: Hodgkin’s lymphoma and non Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
It is common between 20 to 50 yrs. There is no sex predilection.
Cancer In Lymph Nodes Symptoms
Symptoms of lymph node cancer include:
- Painless, rubbery swelling of lymph node.
- The most common site is cervical group (in the neck region).
- Enlarged liver and spleen in advanced stage.
- Weight loss more than 10% in a short period.
- Night sweats.
- Itchy skin.
Diagnosis Of Lymph Node Cancer
- Histopathology of the lymph node.
- Bone marrow examination.
- X-rays and CT scan.
Treatment For Lymph Node Cancer
The treatment of cancer in lymph nodes includes
- Both the therapies.
- A person should eat healthy food and eat anti-oxidant food to boost immune system.
- In some cases of Hodgkin’s disease splenectomy is advocated.
Lymph node cancer survival rate: the success of therapy depends on complete diagnostic evaluation of the extent of disease at presentation. There is a good chance, if the patient is detected at early stage of the disease.