When the blood supply to the brain stem is disrupted, it can lead to brain stem stroke. Brain stem controls many vital body functions. The stroke originating from brain stem at times is a fatal condition. Therefore immediate and quick treatment is needed, even than the prognosis is bad most of the times.
Brain stem stroke can be due to intracranial hemorrhage, cerebral embolism and cerebral thrombosis.
Symptoms of Brain Stem Stroke
- Severe and sudden headache, vomiting and blurred vision may be the initial symptoms of brain stem stroke. Dizziness and difficulty in speaking, loss of balance and confusion are other immediate symptoms of brain stem stroke.
- Paralysis sets in and if the left part of the brain stem is affected, than the paralysis occurs in the right part of the body. If the right part of the brain stem is affected, than the paralysis occurs in the left part of the body. As the respiratory and cardiac centers in the brain are affected, breathing is impaired, this leads to coma.
- At times he may suffer from seizures.
Treatment of Brain Stem Stroke
- An immediate intensive care is hallmark of stroke treatment. The patient should be immediately shifted to a hospital. As per the condition of the patient, doctors will provide all the supportive line of treatment to save the life of the person.
- Use of ventilator and other modern equipments are employed for this purpose. If the patient recovers from coma, he will need other rehabilitation measures such as physiotherapy to improve muscle tone etc.