Abdomen Bloating and Weight Gain Symptoms
Common symptoms include: bloating of the abdomen, excessive flatulence, abdominal distension and an increase in weight.
What Causes Bloated Stomach and Weight Gain
- The commonest cause of weight gain with a sensation of bloated-ness and distension is menstruation. Water retention makes the woman feel puffy and bloated. Alongside, other features such as, mood swings, irritability and depression may appear.
- Pregnancy is another common cause. Weight gain and abdominal bloating occur frequently.
- Changes in the hormonal profile are an important cause. Cortisol is hormone that is released when there is stress. It also causes fat storage. Thus, when the secretion of cortisol is high, weight increases. Cushing’s syndrome is a medical condition, wherein the cortisol levels are elevated.
- Ovarian cancer is a cause for these symptoms. One may present with abdominal bloating, puffiness, and weight gain. Ovarian cancer ought to be ruled out.
- Celiac disease / gluten sensitive enteropathy is another cause. When a person suffering from celiac disease consumes wheat, barley, oats or rye, he will develop flatulence, abdomen bloating and weight gain and increase in weight.
Stomach Bloating and Weight Gain Treatment
Thus, the causes for these symptoms are many. Hence, one needs to make the correct diagnosis. If the symptoms persist for a prolonged period of time, it is essential that you visit a physician and have a compete check. The requisite investigations and examinations need to be performed to make the right diagnosis. Accordingly, the doctor decides on the line of treatment.