Lipids are fats which have an important role in human body. Lipid molecules include fats, waxes, sterols, fat –soluble vitamins, phospholipids etc.
Lipids help in producing energy, maintain mobility in joints and also help proper brain function.
There are several types of lipids, and each lipid has its own quality and function in the human body.
Some of the types of lipids are triglycerides, phospholipids, glycolipids, lipoproteins, waxes, etc.
- Lipids facilitate the absorption of fat soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin E and others. They are essential for maintaining healthy body. Lipid aids in the absorption process.
- Lipid function in the cell is to maintain permeability. The cell membrane is made up of plasma and lipids. It acts as a protective barrier of the cell as it coats and lubricates the cell. The lipid layer in the cell does not allow any bad thing to enter in the cell. Lipid also holds the cell material together. The cell membrane which contains lipid helps to recognize enzymes, transfers food into the cell.
- Lipids store energy in the form of triglycerides. The stored energy is readily available when the body requires it by the way of oxidation of the lipids.
- Lipids help in internal cell communication. They help to produce enzymes and also help to assimilate protein.
- Lipid also has a role in regulating steroid hormone. Testosterone is a lipid based hormone, which is predominantly a male hormone but it is also secreted in smaller quantity in women. Lack of this hormone can give rise to many sexual health problems.
- Lipid also helps the body to be kept warm.
With all the above findings we can make out how important is lipid in living things for its survival. Without lipids our body will be deprived of the energy we need.The cells will become fragile. And the hormones will not function as it should have.