Hydrocodone is a semisynthetic narcotic drug. It is related to opioid family. This opioid is derived from codeine and thebaine, they are naturally occurring opioids. There is a euphoric feeling and feeling of well being after consuming hydrocodone.
- For medicinal purpose, hydrocodone is used as a pain reliever and cough suppressant. As with all opiods, hydrocodone becomes an addictive drug if used for a long time. Therefore physicians use this drug with caution.
- Many people who stop taking hydrocodone abruptly will land up having hydrocodone withdrawal symptoms.
- After stopping the drug, the withdrawal symptoms can last for a fortnight to twenty one days. Again the intensity of symptoms will depend on the dosage and frequency of consumption of hydrocodone.
Hydrocodone Withdrawal Symptoms
Here is a list of withdrawal symptoms of hydrocodone:
The person will have to face a tough period for three weeks after he abstains from hydrcodone. From day one to day three, the withdrawal symptoms will be at its peak. After that it will slowly recede. By the end of twenty one days the symptoms will gradually fade.
- Muscle pain and feeling lethargy.
- Running nose.
- Sweating and feeling chilly.
- Sweating excessively all over the body without any cause.
- Diarrhea and vomiting
Side Effects Of Hydrocodone Withdrawal
- Tremor of finger and hands.
- Anxiety and depression.
- Irritation at slightest noise and light.
- Loss of appetite
- There is strong craving for drug.
Hydrocodone Withdrawal Remedies
- Instead of sudden cessation of the drug, many physicians prefer to taper the dose of hydrocodone. This detoxification process does not give severe withdrawal symptoms when hydrocodone is completely ceased.
- Doctors may give symptomatic treatment for diarrhea, vomiting and chills during this period.
- Moral support and motivation at personal level helps a lot to relinquish the desire and craving of hydrocodone.