What is Deflazacort
Deflazacort is used as an anti inflammatory agent and an immuno suppressant drug.
Deflazacort Drug Information
This drug is available in the United Kingdom, but not in the United States. It is by and large used to manage conditions that have severe pain, swelling and inflammation. Arthritis, rheumatism, bursitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc are managed well.
Deflazacort Tablet Side Effects
- Rash, hives, skin lesions are a common side effects of deflazacort tablets. Some develop acne and bruises. Some patients develop stretch marks across the stomach, thighs, and breasts.
- Deflazacort tends to impede the normal working of one’s immune system. As a result, the patient will have greater trouble combating an infection, when he is on to this drug. One could also develop recurring infections, cold, flu, sinusitis, pneumonia, etc.
- Indigestion, upset stomach, abdominal discomfort, nausea may occur in some people.
- Bone or muscle wasting is a severe side effect of this treatment. It results in diminished muscular strength and weak bones. Osteoporosis and increased vulnerability to fractures occurs.
- Prolonged usage causes Cushing’s syndrome. Serum cortisol levels get elevated, thus causing Cushing’s. One may experience exhaustion, weariness, increased blood sugar, body pain, hypertension and overweighted-ness.
- Women complain of altered menstrual cycle. Irregular, infrequent or absence of periods tends to occur. Some also develop hirsuitism or facial hair growth.
- Children on to this therapy for long periods of time may experience delayed bone growth, a short stature and also delayed milestones.